Redding Fire District No. 2
306 Umpawaug Road – Redding, Connecticut
Annual Meeting Notice
Notice is hereby given to the taxpayers in Redding Fire District No. 2 that the Annual Meeting will take place on Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 7:30 pm at the West Redding Firehouse on 306 Umpawaug Road in West Redding, Connecticut. The following issues will be discussed and/or voted on:
1. To consider and take action upon the reports of the District Officers.
2. To consider and take action upon the recommendations of the Commissioners that the sum of $490,765.07 be appropriated for the annual Operating budget of Redding Fire District No. 2 for the fiscal year of July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024 and to establish a mill rate of 0.0008516 based upon the grand list of $576,285,900.00
3. To consider and take action upon the recommendation of the Commissioner’s that the purchase of a new Rescue Pumper Emergency Vehicle costing approximately $800,000 be approved. The Truck Committee will detail the necessity of purchasing a new Rescue Pumper Emergency Vehicle and explain the cost savings of consolidating two aged vehicles into a single new one. Delivery is expected to be 12-18 months away and taking out a 4-5 year term loan maybe required.
4. Besides depleting the bulk of our District’s Capital Apparatus Savings balance, the purchase of this new Vehicle will require an increase of $100 thousand of annual District capital spending over the next four to five years, which was not included in the above Operating budget. Therefore assuming #3 New Vehicle purchase is approved by the Tax Payers, consider and take action upon the recommendations of the Commissioners that the total sum of $590,750.68 be raised via the District Fire Tax to pay for both one year of New Vehicle’s required capital funding & the annual Operating budget of Redding Fire District No. 2 for the fiscal year of July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024 resulting in a total combined mill rate of 0.0010251 based on the grand list of $576,285,900.00
5. Approve District Bylaw Changes:
a) Extend the terms of three District Officers from a one to three year term with staggering elections years for continuity purposes. The Secretary will next come up for election in 2024, the Tax Collector in 2025 and the Treasurer in 2026.
b) Update the bylaws to include the existing paid District positions of Fire Chief, Fire Marshal and Day Crew Ambulance Supervisor.
c) Require “Any expenditure or purchase agreement over $250,000 must be authorized by vote held during the Annual or Special District meeting.”
6. To elect District Officers: Fire Tax Collector, Treasurer and Secretary based on the District Bylaw change if so approved outlined in #5a above. If the extension of terms and staggering of the election year is not passed, each position will be voted on for only a one year term. Elect one District Commissioner for a three year term. All positions commencing on July 1, 2023.
7. To consider and vote on reinstating the use of the siren located in the Redding Fire District No. 2 building. The siren will be utilized during daytime hours and nightly or weekend for emergencies.
8. To do all legal and necessary matters to accomplish the above listed items and take action that may legally and properly come before the meeting.
9. Questions and comments from the public will be limited to a five minute discussion.
West Redding, Connecticut: Stephanie Wade – District Commissioner Gary Feld – District Commissioner Bill Tower – Interim District Commissioner