Public Works – Highway Department & Transfer/Recycling Station
Quick Fact: Between July 1, 2014 and Oct 15, 2018, 42 miles of Redding roads have been either fully reconstructed (includes drainage) or paved. In FY 2014 a 4 year Road Reconstruction Plan was approved by voters. The cost of the 4-year plan was $6.7 Million. The plan scheduled over 4 years was to have paved 20 miles of road per year. The reduction in the price of oil along with increased road aid from the State of Connecticut, made it possible for us to stretch our road plan into a 5th year.
The Redding Highway Department is made up of 12 employees, including Highway Superintendent, shop foreman, road foremen, mechanics, equipment operators, drivers and laborers.
We maintain 86.8 miles of improved road and 6.16 miles of unimproved roads for a total of 92.96 miles. By contract, in 1949, we had 46 miles of oiled road, 16 miles of dirt roads, and 22.5 of state roads. We also maintain bridges, drainage, resurfacing programs, trees, and winter snow and ice removal. The Highway Department is working closely with the Planning and Conservation Commissions to preserve wetlands and waterways.
The crew is most noticeable during snowstorms when work begins in the early hours of the morning. Keeping Redding’s hilly and curvy roads clear of snow and ice is important for the safety of school buses, residents, and commuters.
- Hours are 7:30AM – 3:00PM – Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday
- We are now self-service – attendants will NOT be assisting residents.
- CASH AND CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR PAYMENT
- Employees will be practicing social distancing & we ask residents to follow similar protocols.
- Permits can only be purchased at the Transfer Station. Please click here to download the form.
Thank you for your patience & understanding.
Click here for information on Redding Shredding and E-Waste Event
Click here for information regarding the Transfer Station and Trash Collection.
Click here to view information regarding the Organics Recycling Program.
Click here to link to the HRRA website, to learn about what you can drop off at the Redding Transfer Station.
Our mechanics maintain all highway equipment, police vehicles, building department vehicles, the animal control officer’s vehicle and the recycling center vehicles.
Thank you Redding citizens for helping us build Mt. Trashmore on Rid Litter Day and keeping Redding Green and Clean! – Almost one ton of roadside trash was collected – 1,948.8 lbs.! (April 21, 2018)
Highway Department &
28 Great Oak Lane
Redding, CT 06875
Highway Department Hours
December to March
Monday – Friday
7:00 am – 3:30 pm
April to November
Monday – Thursday
6:30 am – 5:00 pm
Transfer & Recycling Station Address
84 Hopewell Woods Road
Redding, CT 06875
Transfer & Recycling Center
Transfer & Recycling Hours
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
7:30 am to 3:00 pm
- Baystate Textile Recycling Bin Information
- HRRA Site Info: What you can “Drop Off”
- Donate Your Car to “Wheels for Wishes”
- Transfer Station Permit
- Household Hazardous Waste Day
- Mailbox Repair Policy
- Mixed Recycling-What’s In? What’s Out?
- Organics Recycling
- “Plastic Bags-Return to Retail” Video
- Redding Only-Permitted Trash Haulers
- Storm water Pollution Prevention Plan
- Transfer Station Pricing Information & Recycling Pamphlet
Transfer & Recycling Crew