Select Page

Minutes of Board of Selectmen, 10/19/2015

AGENDA: Board of Selectmen

RECEIVED 10/21/2015 9:21am
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk


Present: Pemberton, Karvelis, Thompson

Also present: 13 members of the public, Assessor Ford, Police Chief Fuchs, representatives of the Redding Pilot, Hello Redding & Danbury News Times, & videographers

First Selectman Pemberton called the October 19, 2015 meeting to order at 7:34 pm.

Motion: move to approve the minutes of the meeting of September 21, 2015 as submitted. Karvelis, Thompson. Approved. Unanimous.

This item was tabled at the last meeting to allow for additional information to be obtained, including written comments from JoAnn Brooks of the Planning Department regarding Vision Appraisal’s prior work for the Town. Upon questioning, Assessor Ford stated that all the issues raised at the meeting by Ms. Brooks, have been discussed with Vision Appraisal, and his recommendation is still for Vision Appraisal for the 2017 revaluation work. The revaluation will be a full revaluation, including in-house inspections by appointment.

Motion: move to entering into a contract with Vision Appraisal for the 2017 Real Property Revaluation. Karvelis, Thompson. Approved. Unanimous.

Motion: move that the agenda be altered to move Discussion on Assistant Assessor position to the next item. Thompson, Karvelis. Approved. Unanimous.

The Assistant Assessor position has been posted, but there has been difficulty in attracting the right candidate. Assessor Ford commented that the salary level is the primary problem, and suggested that a $5,000 increase in the salary range could be beneficial. The Selectmen were in agreement with the change in salary range to $45,000 to $55,000.

Stuart Green, representing the Norwalk River Valley Trail, presented an update on the trail that will run from Danbury to Norwalk. The five-town initiative is a public-private funded program. Mr. Green described the importance of the trail and the plan for 1 ½ mile of the trail that will run from Picketts Ridge to the Ridgefield border. A letter soliciting funds was sent out earlier in the year and resulted in donations of $6,000. Donations made to the Norwalk River Valley Trail can be earmarked for the trail in Redding, and any donations from Redding residents not earmarked will be credited to the Redding account.

Police Chief Fuchs proposed a change to the intersection of Rt 53 & Rt 107 that would allow southbound traffic to move more quickly and smoothly. The change would also minimize or eliminate the morning backup of traffic on Rt 107 (Hill Road). In addition, there would be no left turn allowed for northbound traffic on Glen Road to Rt 107. Any change would need to be reviewed with the CT DOT.

Mrs. Pemberton noted that the Planning Commission has indicated a desire to review the proposal prior to submission to the DOT. The possibility of installing a flashing light on Hill Road, for southbound traffic was discussed. Chief Fuchs will get an estimate of the cost for a flashing light.

Motion: move that the Board of Selectmen refer the proposal for changes on the Rt 53 & Rt 107 intersection to the Planning Commission. Karvelis, Thompson. Approved. Unanimous.

Appointment to Planning Commission:

Motion: move that the Redding Board of Selectmen appoint Laura Hoeing as an Alternate to the Planning Commission. Thompson, Karvelis. Approved. Unanimous.

Committee update: Utility Task Force: Mr. Karvelis reported that Wes Higgins of the Task Force spoke with a representative of Southern Connecticut Gas to review capacity and availability of service. There is sufficient capacity in the pipe servicing Meadow Ridge that would be adequate to accommodate the Georgetown wire mill development. Members also visited Ridgefield and discussed how gas service has been extended to town buildings and most schools. The utility savings has outweighed the costs of extending service. The Task Force is also exploring the availability of high speed internet service to all homes in Redding as part of a possible future State effort.

Committee update: Teen Center Subcommittee: John Board reported the Subcommittee met and agreed to survey area towns for information on their teen center activities, including funding. The Subcommittee will meet again on November 11 to review the findings, discuss potential locations and funding issues.

STEAP Grant: Mrs. Pemberton noted that the Park & Recreation Commission has approved use of the remaining STEAP Grant to improve and correct the drainage issue on the Community Center athletic fields. Mrs. Pemberton suggested that the planned pavilion might be considered as a part of that project if any funds remain after field drainage issues are addressed.

Town Work Chart: Director of Finance, Steve Gniadek, suggested some minor changes to the Town Work Chart that will be incorporated in the CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report).


Motion: move to recess to executive session for a discussion of personnel: performance of a member of the police department; and public safety issues pertaining to an event scheduled for October 22. Karvelis, Thompson. Approved. Unanimous.

Police Chief Fuchs and Captain O’Donnell were invited to be present.

The meeting recessed at 8:53 pm

The meeting was reconvened in public session at 10:03 pm

Motion: Move to adjourn the meeting. Thompson, Karvelis. Approved. Unanimous.

The meeting adjourned at 10:04 pm.

Submitted by Mary Maday, Recording Secretary

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.