REDDING BOARD OF SELECTMEN
June 13, 2016
Present: Pemberton, Karvelis
Also present: twelve members of the public, representative of the Redding Pilot, and the videographers
The First Selectman called the meeting to order at 7:32 pm
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of the May 16, 2016 meeting be approved as submitted. Karvelis, Pemberton. Approved. Unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF PROPOSED REDUCTIONS IN STATE AID TO MUNICIPALITIES
Mrs. Pemberton stated the latest news is that the reduction in state revenue to Redding is about $232,000. When the Town operating budget was approved and the mill rate was set, the Board of Selectmen agreed to look for ways to reduce expenditures in FY 16-17 to help defray the reduction in revenue. Mrs. Pemberton stated that areas being considered for reduction include the extra summer help for the grounds and highway department taking both to status quo, a reduction in maintenance for the Old Town House, Park & Recreation Department, and Open Space maintenance, and savings in the discretionary salary line. In addition, consideration is being given to reducing the increase in the grant to the Mark Twain Library by 50%, or about $12,000. The Board of Selectmen will deliberate on these reductions when the full board is present.
Mrs. Pemberton added that there is additional concern about some of the other state program reductions that will result in additional expenditures at the local level, and the status of the Town Aid Road Funding.
Peggy O’Donnell, Chestnut Woods Road: Mrs. O’Donnell commented that the voters approved the expenditures. Mrs. Pemberton noted that she hopes the FY 2016-17 budget expenditures can be reduced by about $100,000, this would help smooth the impact of the Debt Repayment in the following year.
Several members of the public addressed the board regarding the grant funding for the Mark Twain Library. Mrs. Pemberton stated that the reduction in the requested funding is one of the things being considered. This and other reductions are dependent on other expenses and the level of revenue. The grant funding for the Library is typically given in a lump sum at the beginning of the fiscal year, July. Mrs. Pemberton noted that a portion of the grant may be withheld until later in the fiscal year when expenses and revenue numbers are more certain.
Mrs. Pemberton noted that this was a work in progress; no decisions are being made at this time.
Motion: move that the Board of Selectmen re-appoint Gary Miyashiro to the Zoning Commission. Karvelis, Pemberton. Approved. Unanimous.
Motion: move that the Board of Selectmen re-appoint Steve Gagnon to the Zoning Commission. Karvelis, Pemberton. Approved. Unanimous.
Motion: move that the Board of Selectmen appoint Noel Cooke to the Zoning Board of Appeals. Karvelis, Pemberton. Approved. Unanimous.
2. Utlities Task Force: Mr. Karvelis reported the committee will meet in July to finalize their report and recommendations, and present them at the July Board of Selectmen meeting.
Jeanne Wendschuh, Deer Spring Road: Mrs. Wendschuh thanked the Board of Selectmen for the open and helpful discussion of the budget issues.
BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
- Route 52 Bridge Project: Mrs. Pemberton noted that the closing of Route 53 for the Bridge Project began today with some difficulties. The contractor did not have all the signage in place, but that will be corrected by morning. Traffic was heavy on Umpawaug Road as expected. A speed hump has been installed, and the police are monitoring the traffic. Signage will be added to indicate that Diamond Hill is a “no truck” route. Members of the audience suggested that a sign at Route 53 & Route 107 be added indicating that the Mark Twain Library and Redding Roadhouse were open for business and traffic was allowed. Local traffic is allowed on Route 53 from the intersection with Route 107 up to the point where the bridge construction is taking place.
- Stepney Road Bridge Project: Stepney Road will be closed on Wednesday. Some improvements are being made to Foundry Road for emergency traffic only. A member of the audience who lives on that road commented that the road will become a shortcut and suggested that improvements not be made. She added that emergency vehicles do seem to have a problem with the condition of the road.
- Sestercentennial Celebration: Plans are underway for the Sestercentennial Celebration in July 2017.
- July 2, 2016 Rock N Roll Historical Society: the organizers of the event have found a donor for the firework display. The fireworks will follow a day of music, food and enjoyment. The day will begin with a 9K road race, with proceeds to go to the Boys & Girls Club and Historical Society.
Motion: move that the Board of Selectmen recess to executive session for a discussion of performance of certain employees, including Town Clerk, park & recreation department, building & grounds, land use employees, and employee compensation. Karvelis, Pemberton. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting recessed to the conference room at 8:22 pm
The meeting was reconvened in public session at 9:00 pm
No action was taken.
Motion: Move to adjourn the meeting. Karvelis, Pemberton. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm
Submitted by Mary Maday, Recording Secretary