Commission members: Rosalind Kopfstein, Chairman; Alice Pardee, Hilda Rhodes, Janet Metzger, Beth Wagner, Jean Whitham, Florence Hayes, Lea Mintz, Janet Cianci, Louanne Lang
Others present: Marie Sibilio, Eloise Barron & Barbara Newland (Ridgefield VNA), Julia Pemberton and Sam Cianci
Mrs. Kopstein called the July 10, 2013 meeting to order at 9:00 am in the Community Center.
Mrs. Kopstein introduced Julia Pemberton, a Selectman and candidate for First Selectmen.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move to approve the minutes of the June 5, 2013 meeting as corrected. Metzger, Mintz. Approved. Unanimous.
Correction: typos were corrected
REPORT FROM RIDGEFIELD VNA
Eloise Barron introduced Barbara Newland who will be working with her on programming for the RVNA. She discussed future program opportunities, including a Medicare A & B Change program. Mrs. Sibilio will follow up on scheduling programs for the fall. The RVNA will begin a monthly column in the Redding Pilot.
Mrs. Barron noted that effective July 1, 2013, Medicare has created a preferred providers for durable medical equipment. A preferred provider must be used to qualify for Medicare reimbursement. There are only 13 preferred providers in the country. One of the closest providers for Redding is Wal-Mart. Mrs. Barron is fearful that many of the smaller medical equipment stores will be forced to close as a result of the “preferred” provider limitation.
Mrs. Schiron was not present for the meeting nor was a report provided.
REPORT ON ACTIVITIES
Mrs. Sibilio reported on the following:
- Van trips: 160 van trips for 1,959 miles.
- Scam program: this was a very successful and informative program.
- Many regular classes have been discontinued during the summer months.
- Electronic device session: a Joel Barlow High School student has volunteered to hold a session to help seniors with their various electronic devices, phones, cameras, ereaders, etc. He has indicated he would continue sessions during the school year.
- Walking Group: this group is active and a celebration is planned for July 22, 2013.
- Movies: The Wednesday lunch movie in July is “Water for Elephants” and in August is “Les Miserables”
- Picnic: a summer picnic is being planned at a member’s home.
- Change in fee structure: a letter was emailed to participants of programs explaining the new fee structure. Mrs. Sibilio has not received any feedback or questions on the new plan. It was suggested that another email explanation be sent out prior to programs beginning in the fall.
- Other program ideas were discussed, including “armchair travel” programs.
Alice Pardee and Florence Hayes were recognized for their more than 28 years of serving on the Commission on Aging. They retired from the Commission effective July 1, 2013. Recognition of service certificates will be presented at a later date. Commission members thanked Alice and Florence for their dedication and service to the seniors of Redding.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Mrs. Metzger reported the only nominations received were for Rosalind Kopfstein as Chair and herself as Vice Chair.
Motion: move that the Commission on Aging elect Rosalind Kopfstein as Chair and Janet Metzger as Vice Chair. Mintz, Wagner. Approved. Unanimous.
Mrs. Kopfstein circulated information on Warning Signs of Elder Abuse from the Western Connecticut Area Agency on Aging. She suggested the information be published in a future newsletter.
Mrs. Kopfstein noted that two additional alternate members are needed for the Commission. Suggestions can be sent to First Selectmen Ketcham.
The next meeting is scheduled for September 4, 2013, at 9:00 am at the Redding Town Hall.
The Chair adjourned the meeting at 9:40 am.
Mary Maday, Recording Secretary