Commission members: Rosalind Kopfstein, Chairman; Alice Pardee, Hilda Rhodes, Henry Polio, Sam Crocker, Janet Metzger, Beth Wagner, Jean Whitham, Florence Hayes
Others present: Gail Schiron, Marie Sibilio, Ruth Moran, Eloise Barron (Ridgefield VNA)
Mrs. Kopstein called the June 5, 2013 meeting to order at 9:02 am in the Community Center.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move to approve the minutes of the May 1, 2013 meeting as corrected. Metzger, Pardee. Approved. Unanimous.
Correction: page 2, Wednesday, May 8 program is Marvelous Moms
Mrs. Schiron reported on the following:
- Visitations/Assistance: Mrs. Schiron reported she is working with several residents on significant ssues, including housing conditions and other housing issues.
- Medicare fraud: there is an increasing problem with Medicare fraud, especially with the use of the individual’s social security number for the Medicare number.
- Van issues: a substitute driver is now available. Don Kingsbury will drive the van when Mike is on vacation or unable to drive. Mrs. Schiron noted that there has been an increase is request for rides for physical therapy and for chemo treatments. Alternative transportation is being looked into.
REPORT ON ACTIVITIES
Mrs. Sibilio reported on the following:
- Marvelous Moms event: this was attended by 18 people.
- Assistive Technology Program: this program was also well attended.
- Movie: the movie Skyfall was shown last month after one of the lunches.
- Fee structure: a letter explaining the change in the class fee structure/card system was drafted for review. The letter and fee structure was discussed. The letter will be finalized and mailed to all class participants. The letter will also be sent out via email. Mrs. Kopfstein asked that the staff revisit and evaluate the new fee structure/card system after three months of use.
- Email: Mrs. Moran is working on collecting email addresses for all participants. The goal is to send out notices and announcements by email.
- Contact Sheet: Mrs. Moran and Mrs. Sibilio had revised the contact list for Senior Center participants, to include email address, contact information and medical info the staff should be aware of.
REPORT FROM RIDGEFIELD VNA
The commission members thanked Eloise Baron and the Ridgefield VNA for the program, Keeping Your Money Safe.” A video of the presentation and discussion can be viewed online at www.redding79.org.
REPORT FROM FUNDRAISING SUBCOMMITTEE
Mr. Polio reported that the subcommittee is looking for the services of a lawyer to assist with establishing a 501c3 nonprofit entity. Mr. Polio stated that this entity would be used for fundraising for programs that are not currently being offered through the Center. Mrs. Metzger suggested that a “trust in agency” account could be easier to establish and maintain. Mrs. Ketcham agreed with the potential use of a trust in agency account.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Mrs. Metzger will collect nominations for the offices of Chair and Vice Chair. Election of officers will be held at the July meeting.
The next meeting is scheduled for July 3, 2013, at 9:00 am at the Heritage Center.
The Chair adjourned the meeting at 10:05 am.
Mary Maday, Recording Secretary