Filed, subject to approval
Commission members: Rosalind Kopfstein, Chairman, Hilda Rhodes, Ingrid Heller, Henry Polio, Janet Metzger, Beth Wagner, Lea Mintz, Janet Cianci
Others present: Gail Schiron, Marie Sibilio, Ruth Moran, Julia Pemberton
Mrs. Kopfstein called the July 1, 2015 meeting to order at 9:02 am in the Heritage Center.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of the meeting of June 2, 2015 be accepted as corrected. Wagner, Rhodes. Approved. Unanimous.
Correction: Lea Mintz was also present.
REPORT FROM DIRECTOR OF HUMAN SERVICES
Mrs. Schiron reported the following:
- Helen Baumbach has retired. Her last day was yesterday and ended with a staff celebration of her many years with Heritage Center.
- One homebound visit was reported
- One inquiry about senior housing. Mrs. Schiron also noted that two seniors have moved out of town.
- Storm last week: Mrs. Schiron contacted those on the elderly emergency list last week following the storm. The Center did not have phone or internet service for two days as a result of the trees down.
- Food Pantry: Mrs. Schiron noted that four seniors are now using the food pantry, in addition to the others. The freezer has been a big help. She thanked John Read Middle School for their help in stocking the freezer.
Van Service: Van service will be available on Friday mornings as a trial run during the month of July. The van will travel to the West Redding hair dresser and Caraluzzi’s in Georgetown and surrounding businesses. Michael will be the driver with service from 9 am to 12 noon. Mrs. Schiron will be in the office during those hours. Several members of the Commission suggested including a stop at the Mark Twain Library as a part of the route. Michael will be consulted on how best to include stops at the library.
SENIOR CENTER COORDINATOR REPORT
Marie reported on class participation:
- Due to AC/HVAC issues with the building during June, class participants are being offered credit for those classes. Some of the classes were canceled or the conditions were too hot to continue.
- Massage therapist/acupuncturist is available once a week and that is going well.
- Swing Band program in conjunction with Park & Recreation was enjoyable, and attended by about 20 people. The event, planned for Topstone Park, was moved to the Community Room due to weather problems.
- The Memoir writing class has concluded and a “open mic” program is planned for September with the participants sharing their writings.
- A Trip to Foxwoods is planned for the end of July
A discussion of marketing of the programs followed. Mrs. Whitham suggested that Commission members get more involved and committed to attend and be a part of the programs and planned events. Mrs. Moran added that she would like to have willing Commission members act as facilitators for trips, i.e. to local museums, etc. There was discussion of how to get information out to the public. Mrs. Metzger suggested contacting class participants who left programs when the fee structure changed.
First Selectman Pemberton commented that the new Town website offers residents the opportunity to sign up for online notification of meetings, news and other information. In addition, the Senior Directory of Services and information about the Senior Tax Benefit are on the website.
Mrs. Pemberton also noted that the Commission on Aging has two vacancies for alternate positions. Anyone interested should contact her office.
No specific programs were presented. There was a discussion on the importance of providing a program on financial information and the suggestion that this be pursued.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Motion: move to nominate Beth Wagner as Chairman and Janet Metzger as Vice Chairman. Mintz, Kopfstein. Approved. Unanimous.
September 2, 2015. This meeting will be held in the Town Hall due to the Library Book Fair
The Chair adjourned the meeting at 10:00 am.
Submitted by Mary Maday, Recording Secretary