Select Page

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /nas/content/live/townofredding/wp-content/themes/Divi-child/single-minute.php on line 27

Minutes of Conservation Commission, 10/03/2017

AGENDA: Conservation Commission

RECEIVED 10/05/2017 10:40am

Notice: Trying to get property 'name' of non-object in /nas/content/live/townofredding/wp-content/themes/Divi-child/single-minute.php on line 38

Redding Conservation Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
MINUTES

Tuesday, October 3, 2017
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House

Present: David Pattee, Chairman; William Hill; Stuart Green; Susan Robinson; Wallace Perlman.
Absent: Tina Miller

The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.

I.        APPROVAL OF MINUTES           -Meeting of September 19, 2017

On the motion of W. Perlman and the second of W. Hill, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 9/19/17 Minutes as amended: second item under “Chairman’s Report”, change to “Stuart Green stated trail work is being done on the Rivulus Trail as community service for a Life Scout project.”, third paragraph under “Discussion of the Town of Redding Open Space Plan 2018”, change “Couch Hill central field mowing” to “Couch Hill field perimeter mowing.”

II.       REGULATORY

Discussion of Land Management Plan for 18 Hill Road.

Commissioners reviewed proposed edits to the Land Management Plan.

On the motion of S. Green and the second of W. Hill, the Commission voted unanimously to send the clean copy and marked up version, as modified, back to the Land Trust.

Removal of the existing PVC pipes will be scheduled for early November.

Discussion of the Town of Redding Open Space Plan 2018.

Items need for updating and review were reviewed as outlined by T. Miller. The need for updated and more efficient GIS mapping was discussed. W. Hill will contact the new intern at Highstead to determine availability for assistance on needed updates.

III.      CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

D. Pattee reported on a recent inquiry re: refilling a dried pond.  The Commission will forward a negative response.

Per J. McLeran, deer signs are missing.  A suggestion will be made to replace with a more cost-effective plastic alternative and to purchase between 25-30 to get a better per sign cost.

D. Pattee received an email from a resident concerned with “overharvesting deer” in Town. The deer population numbers from the last few years were noted as well as statistics in comparison to other towns.  Mr. Pattee also noted that all deer hunting is controlled by the State of Connecticut.

An invoice was received re: Sunset Hill mowing.  Additional information is needed.

Re: Biehn property, S. Green is leading a walk on Sun., 10/8/17 at 9:30 a.m. to look at the previously discovered quartz.

An estimate has been obtained re: Firehouse Trail for cutting from Umpawaug to the boardwalk.  The estimate was approved.

Re: Gilbert-Miller Park repair, S. Robinson submitted an estimate which was approved.

Stuart Green received a complaint re: new trail head on Umpawaug Road.  He will visit the site to determine if it is on a Town easement.

Re: Rivulus Trail, S. Green will visit and report back on the extent of blue paint.

A new sign is needed at the Lincoln Selleck Trail.  W. Perlman will provide the name of someone who creates signs.

Per email from J. McLeran, a bridge is being proposed over Branchville Brook.

The shed at the Town Garage was been damaged.  S. Green will contact Jeff Hanson re: repair.

Re: Saugatuck Falls Natural Area zipline, Commissioners will visit to determine if both ends are located on Town property.

On the motion of W. Perlman and the second of W. Hill, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:30 p.m.

Submitted by:
Kristi C. Reilly