Select Page

Minutes of Conservation Committee, 11/16/2021

AGENDA: Conservation Committee

RECEIVED 11/18/2021 8:30am
Kimberly Keil - Redding Assistant Town Clerk

Redding Conservation Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028

MINUTES

Tuesday, November 16, 2021
7:30 p.m. – Via ZOOM
Present via video: David Pattee, Chairman; William Hill; Tina Miller; Stuart Green; Wallace Perlman; Claire Matzke; Susan Robinson.
Also present:   Aimee Pardee, Land Use Director
Julia Pemberton, First Selectwoman

The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES-Meeting of October 19, 2021

Mr. Perlman motioned and Mrs. Miller seconded the motion to approve the 10/19/2021 Meeting
The motion passed unanimously.

II. REGULATORY
Application #21-17/Order to Cease and Correct—Peter Boccarossa, 50 Seventy Acre Road. To receive and discuss an application for clearing and grading work done within the regulated area without required permits. Discussion 8/17/2021. Site Walk 9/29/2021. Discussion 10/05/2021; 10/19/2021. Awaiting additional information.

Mr. Boccarossa was present via ZOOM in addition to landscape consultant Michael Boice. It was noted that the test dig on the woodchip area had not been coordinated with A. Pardee.  Mr. Boice noted that he asked Mr. Boccarossa to hold off until the planting plan was agreed upon.

The plan was screen shared and reviewed in detail. Mr. Pattee asked if it was too late in the year to do planting.  Mr. Boice suggested that the spring would be better. Mr. Green noted his approval of the proposed use of silky dogwoods. Susan Robinson noted her concern re: additional soil.  Mr. Boice confirmed that the plan is to remove woodchips before the planting plan and additional soil is considered. Tina Miller suggested looking at the site again considering the proposed planting plan. She noted her recent observation that the woodchips appear leveled.

Mr. Boice had stated that that part of the success of the plan is contingent on the level of mulch. The Commission will conduct a site walk on Tuesday, 11/23/2021 at 2:00 p.m. provided that an excavator is arranged for to dig the woodchip depth test.

The work plan is to start to work on the stone wall restoration and plantings on the stony hillside behind the house prior to the site walk. Copies of the reviewed plan will be submitted to A. Pardee and the C. Keil at the Land Use Office.

III.      DISCUSSION

Request from Matthew Miller to discuss the Ordinance that requires all dogs to be on a leash on Town Trails.

Mr. Miller proposed a compromise for allowing dogs off leash at the Scott Preserve and Rock Lot. Parking issues were reviewed.  Mr. Miller responded that the trailhead is opposite Mine Hill Road which is currently being used for parked cars without parking in front of a home.  Mr. Pattee reported that per Police Chief O’Donnell, cars cannot park on town roads. Tina Miller reviewed the history of parking on town roads.

Mr. Green spoke to the Land Trust and suggested a possibility that the Scott Preserve could be approved if the Rock Lot is approved by Conservation. First Selectwoman Pemberton stated that dogs have been off leash on trails until the recent change to the Open Space Ordinance. She reviewed the condition that the Commission identify a trail where dogs could be off leash and noted that no problems were noted during the increase in popularity of the trails during the pandemic.

Mr. Perlman motioned and Mr. Green seconded the motion to approve the use of Rock Lot for off-leash dog walking.

Mr. Green will check with the Land Trust re: Scott Preserve and Mrs. Pemberton will confirm that parking on Mine Hill Road will be permitted.

IV.  CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

Mr. Pattee reported on his meeting with Rep. Ann Hughes and Sen. Will Haskell.  The suggestion of a ribbon cutting for NRVT was discussed.
Susan Robinson reviewed her ZOOM attendance at CACIWC and Wetlands Conference. She reported that river and storm flooding forecasts will be forthcoming.
Pictures of clear-cutting Gilbert Bennett Brook were sent to Land Use Director A. Pardee by S. Robinson.
Stuart Green reported on efforts to adjust the contract for the Lonetown Marsh boardwalk repair. The start date is still projected to be early December.  The Commission agreed to prepare the contract for the first part of the project.  T. Miller will review the contract and the second part of the project can be reassessed by Mr. Fahan after completion of the first phase.

Mrs. Miller motioned and Mr. Perlman seconded the motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:27 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.

Submitted by:
Kristi C. Reilly

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Accessibility Tools
hide