Select Page

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /nas/content/live/townofredding/wp-content/themes/Divi-child/single-minute.php on line 27

Minutes of Historic Review Committee Site Visit & Special Meeting, 07/19/2016

AGENDA: Historic Review Committee Site Visit & Special Meeting

RECEIVED 07/20/2016 1:15pm

Notice: Trying to get property 'name' of non-object in /nas/content/live/townofredding/wp-content/themes/Divi-child/single-minute.php on line 38

MINUTES OF SITE VISIT & SPECIAL MEETING
Wednesday July 19, 2016
6:30 PM, Barn at 74 Wayside Lane

Present: Ray D’Angelo, Anda Cumings, alt. Sherry Karraker, alt. Jean Taylor seated for Matt Lecher, historian Charley Couch, property owner Jeff Morgan.

This Site Visit and Special Meeting took place outdoors outside the barn at 74 Wayside Lane, the subject of the most recent demolition application put before the Committee.

Chairman Ray D’Angelo calls the meeting to order at 6:35PM.

I. Site Visit

All present toured the barn with the owner Jeff Morgan.  The structure was built in 1788 (per Town records), and is a carriage barn built into a hill (New England Bank style).  The original beams, planks and stone work are still present, and one high window still has its original glass.  This barn is listed on the Historic Barns Survey by the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation. The original owner was Jonathan Parsons.   A garage has been fashioned from the lower part of the barn. Mr. Morgan points out that there is constant water leaking down from the roof onto the barn floor, and that this freezes in the winter.  He also adds that the garage area is too narrow to house more than one car. The roof needs replacement. Mr. Morgan presents his proposed building plan for a new barn, which will provide not only a garage but additional living space.

II.  Deliberation/Vote

Committee members discuss aspects of the barn that indicate historic sensitivity.  The condition of the barn and whether there are safety considerations is brought up as well.  A previously present lean- to shed on the barn has fallen off, but the remaining structure does not appear to be condemnable.

Motion:  Anda Cumings motions that because the barn at 74 Wayside Lane is 230 years old, and is listed on the Connecticut Trust Barn Survey, and appears on the 1867 Beers Map of Redding, the structure is historically sensitive and subject to the Demolition Delay Ordinance.  Jean Taylor seconds, all present vote in favor.

Ray D’Angelo asks Charley Couch to prepare a report that will assist the Committee in presenting to Mr. Morgan viable options to demolition of the barn.

III.  Chairman’s Report

Ray D’Angelo will announce another Special Meeting of the Committee to vote on minutes of previous meetings, catch up on administrative concerns and receive Charley Couch’s report regarding the demolition of 432 Redding Road, which is on a 180 delay.

Anda Cumings motions to adjourn the meeting, Jean Taylor seconds.

The meeting is adjourned at 7:25PM

Submitted by:

Anda Cumings, Secretary
Historic Review Committee Minutes of Site Visit & Special Meeting