Select Page

Minutes of Historic Review Committee, 12/20/2018

AGENDA: Historic Review Committee

RECEIVED 12/26/2018 8:30am
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk

Town of Redding
Historic Review Committee
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028

MINUTES OF MEETING
Thursday, December 20, 2018
Old Town House

Present: Secretary Anda Cumings, alternates Jean Taylor and alternate Sherry Karraker, demolition applicant and property owner Bryan Gregg, agent for applicant and demolition manager Joe Nazzaro, Buzz Merritt of the Redding Land Trust. Absent: Chairman Ray D’Angelo, Vice Chairman Matt Lecher.

Anda Cumings begins the meeting at 7:15PM. She motions that a third item be added to the agenda and be discussed second, that being the issue of the 2019 HRC calendar. Sherry Karraker seconds and all vote in favor.

I. Minutes of the Last Meeting, August 2, 2018 Anda reads the minutes of the last meeting and Sherry motions to accept them as posted. Jean Taylor seconds, all vote in favor.

II. Historic Review Committee 2019 Calendar The office of the Town Clerk and the Land Use Office have requested that the Committee establish a once a month meeting day as opposed to the twice a month schedule currently in place, as there are a large number of cancelled meetings in between demolition applications received. All present agree that there is merit to reducing the number of official meetings, however, Chairman Ray D’Angelo has asked Anda to not submit a reduced calendar until he has had a chance to discuss it with Julia Pemberton and Peter Olsen. He is absent from this meeting, as is Matt Lecher. Anda will submit a regular calendar before the end of the year. However, she will resubmit a revised calendar if the Committee decides on a change later when Ray and Matt Lecher can be present to discuss the matter.

III. Demolition Application for house and outbuildings at 140 Old Redding Road, owner Bryan Gregg. The proposed demolition is for the former residence of the late Mary Anne Guitar. The house dates from 1828, and was built by Beach Whitehead. The original owner was E. B. Whitehead. Sherry Karraker has located the house in Appendix 8 of the Redding Archeological Sites and Historically Sensitive Properties, where it is listed on line 110:140. Information on this listing reveals that the house appears on the Beers 1867 map of Redding, that it once was in the Diamond Hill school district, and that it is classified as having median historic sensitivity. In addition, the house has been covered by the Margaret Wixted House Histories and appears in Volume 2, page 19. Sherry searched for the house history at the Mark Twain Library, but it has not been as yet located. Applicant Bryan Gregg is invited to speak. He explains that he was originally going to restore the house and had architectural plans drawn up to do so. Recently, however, the house underwent an inspection requested by the applicant’s insurance company, and the presence of black mold throughout the house was confirmed by a mold specialist. The overall condition of the house was deemed poor and uninhabitable. Joe Nazzaro is invited to speak, and he confirms the condition of the house. Anda asks Mr. Gregg to drop off a copy of the mold report at the Land Use Office to add to the applicant file.

Anda motions that despite the poor condition of the house and outbuildings at 140 Old Redding Road, that there be an initial determination of historic significance for this property, and that the demolition delay be upheld until a final determination can be made after a public hearing. Sherry seconds the motion, and all present vote in favor. Anda sets the date for a site visit by the Committee on Saturday, December 29th at 11AM. The applicant requests that the public hearing take place after January 13th so that he can be present. The date for the public hearing will be determined and posted as soon as possible so that the applicant can inform his abutting neighbors on a timely basis. Jean Taylor volunteers to locate the Margaret Wixted house history possibly misplaced at the Mark Twain Library. It could also be in the possession of the town archeologist Stuart Reeve. Bryan Gregg also offers to share with the Committee photos of the house given to him by the Guitar family.

Sherry Karraker motions to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Jean Taylor.

Meeting adjourns at 8:30PM.
Submitted by:
Secretary Anda E. Cumings, Historic Review Committee

Accessibility Tools
hide