Select Page

Minutes of Historic Review Committee Special Meeting-Site Visit, 04/18/2019

AGENDA: Historic Review Committee Special Meeting

RECEIVED 04/23/2019 8:30am
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk

Town of Redding
Historic Review Committee
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028

MINUTES OF SPECIAL MEETING – SITE VISIT

Thursday, April 18, 2019
224 Umpawaug Road, Redding CT
6:00 PM

Present: Chairman Ray D’Angelo, Vice Chairman Matt Lecher, Secretary Anda Cumings, alternate Sherry Karraker, alternate Jean Taylor, Land Use Officer Aimee Pardee, builder Max Sloper, abutting neighbor Katie Braja.

Land Use Officer Aimee Pardee briefed all present as to important facts concerning this house. First, the proposed construction at this site was already subjected to an archeological survey in fulfillment of conditions placed on the property in earlier years. One can refer to recent minutes of the Planning Commission for details. At this time, the archeological easement area is cordoned off and is not to be touched by proposed construction or demolition. Second, the large barn at the edge of Umpawaug Road and an outbuilding referred to as the “Workshop” are to be preserved. Two smaller, contemporary outbuildings—a chicken coop and a storage shed—are to be demolished along with the main house.

Builder Max Sloper admitted all present to the interior of the main house. All three floors and the basement level were toured. The structure was built in 1907, and the builders’ signatures can be viewed on the undersides of the stairs to the second story as viewed from the basement stairwell. A second story bathroom appears to have retained its turn of the century style with a footed bathtub and older fixtures. These will be removed and sold by the builder. Other rooms have been modernized and renovated since 1907, and it is noteworthy that there is relatively recent, sizeable addition of a family room and contemporary full bathroom on the main level. The third story is an unfinished attic area. No items or structures worthy of historical preservation were noted.

The visit ended at approximately 6:40 PM. No motions or voting took place at the site visit.

Submitted by:
Anda E. Cumings, Secretary

Accessibility Tools
hide