Present: K. Jones, C. Hunter, J. Board, R. Brier, S. Palmer
Also present: Rob Blick
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:36 pm in the Park & Recreation office.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of the January 4, 2016, meeting be accepted as presented. Hunter Brier. Approved. 5-0-1. Mr. Scott abstained
The approval of minutes of the February 2, 2016 non-meeting was tabled to the next meeting.
Mr. Blick reviewed his written report.
- Basketball season ends this weekend. Basketball Palooza is scheduled for the weekend of March 19.
- Topstone improvements: Mr. Blick is in the process of getting estimates for the bathroom improvement project. The plan is to do the bathrooms first, then go forward with the purchase of boats and other equipment, depending on available funds..
- Pavilion at RCC: the pavilion cost has been deleted from the proposed budget. First Selectman Pemberton is hoping to incorporate the pavilion into the STEAP Grant for field improvement.
- Ice Rink: the proposed budget was reduced from $12,000 to $8,000 on this item. Mr. Blick had discussions with Mrs. Pemberton related to the maintenance and care of the ice rink. The plan is to use current in-house custodial help for the snow plowing of the parking lot & path to rink, as well as the resurfacing of the ice.
- Field & Gym Assignments: these have been provided the sports group. Due to the mild weather, Mr. Blick is hopeful that the fields will be open before the April 6 target date.
- Conference: Mr. Blick and Sarah will be attending the American Camping Association Tri=State Conference in Atlantic City this week.
- Spring Brochure: this will be mailed out by March 22-23, 2016.
- Softball: the meeting with the managers was held earlier and the upcoming season was discussed.
- Topstone Lifeguards and Camp Counselors: Dina Scalo will be the new Camp Director and Jeff Docimo will be the Assistant Director. Camp plans are still being worked out. Letters have been sent out to previous employees and responses are coming back.
DISCUSSION OF SKATE PARK INITIATIVE
Mr. Jones is still waiting for cost and size information on size and cost. Aiden is working on promotional efforts to get more individuals, and users interested and to solicit funding.
RCC DRAINAGE PROJECT
Mr. Jones will check with Barry Blades of Blades and Goven on the status of the plan to improve the drainage of the fields.
DISCUSSION OF PARK & RECREATION/HERITAGE CENTER COOPERATION
Changes in the staffing of Heritage Center have resulted in some restructuring of employee duties. The new social worker replacing Gail Schiron is now on board. Program Coordination Marie Sibilio has also retired. Ruth Moran is replacing Marie as program coordinator on a part time basis. Another part time position will be filled. Staffing will be 1 full time and two part time employees compared with the previous 2 full time and 2 part timer employees.
The plan is for the Park & Rec staff to handle the computer input for classes. There is consideration of transferring the exercise-type (yoga, Tai Chi, exercise) programs to Park & Rec.. Other programs for seniors (luncheons, knitting, quilting, book club, current events, crafts, and special program & services offered by Heritage Center) would continue as they do now. Programs for seniors (ages 60+), incljuding the Park & Rec programs, are offered at a 50% discount. The impact on budgetary issues has not been worked out as yet. In addition, with Park & Rec taking over some of the work, additional compensation for staff may be appropriate.
DISCUSSION OF SOCIAL MEDIA POLICIES
The Board of Selectmen has suggested that there should be a social media policy. Issues involving Park & Rec should be vetted by the entire commission prior to posting on social media. Mr. Blick noted that there is a policy for the staff that work issues are not to be posted on social media. In the future, prior to posting Park & Rec Commission matters on social media, it needs to be discussed at a meeting prior to the posting. Mrs. Hunter reminded all that the business of the commission can only be discussed in a public meeting. Emails and phone calls with information are allowed, but all discussions and decisions must take place at a public meeting.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Board, Hunter. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:34 pm
Submitted by Mary Maday, Recording Secretary