Park and Recreation Commission
November 5, 2018
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Scott Palmer, Kate Schwartz, Mary Lou Carlson; Rob Blick; Julia Pemberton
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:38pm
- Rob Blick reported that Basketball season is getting underway and will finish their ratings clinics shortly. A referee and coaches clinic will take place in the next few weeks. New coaches are always welcome.
- Topstone Park, The Community Garden and Athletic field irrigation system have all been winterized.
- Park and Recreation is looking for a volunteer to open the gate at Topstone prior to 9am for this spring.
- The September rains have caused field usage issues throughout the fall and made it difficult to maintain the fields on a regular basis.
- The Ice Rink will be placed in the parking lot near RCC Field 1 this winter.
- The Tree Lighting Ceremony will take place on December 1st on the Town Green.
LETTER OF CORRESPONDENCE
-No correspondence discussed
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
– Mrs. Schwartz made a correction to the name on page two of the minutes, which should have been Lori Skiddell.
-Motion to approve minutes from the September 11, 2018 meeting. Motion Palmer, Schwartz (second), unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
-The Commission discussed items that Park and Recreation can donate to various groups in town as prizes or auction items.
– Mr. Blick and Mrs. Schwartz agreed to meet regarding the Barn Dance in March to include it in brochure and promotional material.
DISCUSSION OF PARK AND RECREATION BROCHURE
-The Commission supported the idea to redesign the quarterly brochure.
– A proposal was received by Mrs. Pemberton, and the Commission agreed the redesign should become a priority.
– A discussion followed regarding the steps and procedures necessary to move forward with the idea.
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS
-A request was made by the Elementary School to enclose an area of RCC Field 3 with a gate to prevent children from running through the area during school areas. The Commission discussed how the Elementary School field is enclosed, and was unclear how the open area on Field 3 was a potential hazard. The commission and First Selectman will seek further explanation from the Elementary School.
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
Motion Palmer, Schwartz, unanimous. Adjourned at 8:42 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones