Park and Recreation Commission
May 4, 2020
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Mitch Edwards, Pete Graziano, Lorcan O’Connor, MaryLou Carlson, Mitch Edwards
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 8:00 pm.
REVIEW OF DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Mr. Blick reviewed his report:
- Water has been turned on at the garden; turned on and tested at Topstone.
- Cleanup is ongoing at Topstone. People are using the dog refuse bags for normal garbage, so those needed to be replaced.
- Tennis courts had to be closed early in the pandemic due to overuse, but are scheduled to reopen shortly with new rules posted for use.
- The department is reviewing how Topstone can be used this summer.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM March 2, 2020
-Motion Graziano, O’Conner (second), 4-0, 2 abstain.
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
-The Commission had an extended conversation regarding summer offerings and Topstone park. The discussion was all based on hypotheticals, and the guidelines the Commission had to reference were vague at the time. The Commission acknowledge that the information and safe recommendations could, and will, change almost daily. The end result of the discussion was the Commission’s acknowledgement that the current information and guidelines available were not sufficient to make any informed decisions or commitments to the park. The Commision agreed to not make any recommendations until the June meeting, when, the Commission hopes, there will be more information and definitive guidelines from the State.
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS OR INITIATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
– Motion Jones, Carlson (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:43 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones