Park and Recreation Commission
June 1, 2020
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Scott Palmer, Mitch Edwards, Lorcan O’Connor, Pete Graziano (7:46)
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:42 pm.
REVIEW OF DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Mr. Blick reviewed his report:
– The department has taken the opportunity provided by the lack of field usage to maintain and improve field conditions as needed.
– The tennis courts have reopened, with a sign outlining proper usage of the courts during the pandemic.
LETTERS OR CORRESPONDENCE
-Mr. Blick received a complaint regarding an area of poison ivy in Topstone Park. He will investigate the area and take care of the problem as needed.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM March 2, 2020
Mr. Graziano noted the name of Mitch Edwards was listed twice in the attendance of the meeting. Motion to approve the minutes noting the recording error: O’Connor, Graziano (second), 5-0.
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
DISCUSSION OF SUMMER PROGRAMMING
The following items were discussed:
– Offering a small-scale camp-like program
– 2 weeks, mornings only, age group-specific
– 30 children max, groups of 10, very limited by state guideline
– Could expand if mandates from state allow, but cleaning of facilities is an area of concern
– We do not have a full camp in the budget anymore
– Mr. Jones asked if it was possible to take a survey in town to gauge level of interest
DISCUSSION OF TOPSTONE PARK OPENING
Every effort is being made to plan for a summer opening of Topstone Park with the following:
– Opening on or around June 20
– The guidelines for opening were reviewed and agreed upon by the Commission
– The Health Department has also reviewed and agreed upon the guidelines
– An announcement will be made to the town via Park and Recreation this week
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS OR INITIATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
Motion Jones, Palmer (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:57 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones