Park and Recreation Commission
April 5, 2021 via Zoom
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Pete Graziano, Mitch Edwards, Lorcan O’Connor (7:36), MaryLou Carlson (8:00),
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:32 pm.
REVIEW OF DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Mr. Blick reviewed his report:
– Michelle Waring has been hired to fill the open full-time position and will have an official start date of 4/22/21.
– We are currently interviewing for summer camp positions.
– We are currently fixing the docks at Topstone in anticipation of being open this summer.
– Floor covering is still down in the gym for Covid vaccinations.
– Cracks that have developed on the tennis courts are worse than anticipated and will need to be repaired. These require long-term repair and will be expensive. Mr. Blick is obtaining quotes for the work.
– Donations constinue to come in for the Concert on the green series. At this point we have covered the costs of the bands.
– The Music Shed is looking for an afternoon spot on the green to showcase their student bands.
– Fields should be open in early April. Mr. Blick will walk the fields on 4/6, and is anticipating they will be opened in time for spring sports.
– Two shows have been scheduled for the Acoustic Series at Topstone Park this summer.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM March 1, 2021
Motion to approve the minutes: O’Connor, Graziano (second), unanimous.
LETTERS OR CORRESPONDENCE
The television show “Sesame Street” has requested the use of Topstone Park to film. If chosen, they will require use of the park for one day, prior to the park opening for the season. Compensation will be $1,000.00.
Conservation has recently changed the leash rules in all town open spaces to require all dogs be leashed. Current Topstone policy does not require dogs to be leashed on the trails. Two members of the public attended the meeting to discuss the dog leash rules at Topstone. One spoke in favor of changing the Topstone policy, one spoke against changing the policy.
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
An item from last month’s meeting regarding a Board of Ed request for additional items during the summer months was handled by Mr. Blick and required no further discussion.
DISCUSSION OF PAVILLION AS TOWN BUDGET ITEM
Mr. Blick discussed the RCC Pavilion project as an item to be voted on in the upcoming budget. He agreed to resend to the commission the brochure and fact sheet he previously created.
DISCUSSION AND ACTION ON DOG LEASH REQUIREMENT IN TOPSTONE PARK
The Commission discussed the changes the town made to the dog leash rules, and how the current changes do not have any bearing on Park and Rec policy. Members discussed pros and cons of changing the rule to match the rest of the town. After a thorough discussion, no action was taken.
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS OR INITIATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
Motion Jones, Graziano (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:22 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones