Park and Recreation Commission
June 7, 2021 via Zoom
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Pete Graziano, Mitch Edwards, Lorcan O’Connor, Scott Palmer, Mary Lou Carlson
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:30 pm.
REVIEW OF DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Mr. Blick reviewed his report:
– Topstone is open. Memberships can be bought in the office and at the park.
– Topstone is open for camping and party rentals.
– Summer day camp staff is hired. Camper numbers are up to 50 in some weeks and growing.
– Indoor usage at RCC is still observing social distancing, with rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. While still not at full capacity, the facility can be used.
– The tennis court crack repair that was discussed last month turned out to be more expensive ($38,000) than anticipated and would require a town meeting to approve funds. We will use $5,000, instead of the anticipated $16,000, for emergency crack repairs to keep the courts usable for this year, and attempt to do the full repair in next year’s budget.
– We will institute a preschool music program next fall.
– Open gym begins in two weeks.
LETTERS OR CORRESPONDENCE
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM May 3, 2021
Motion to approve the minutes: Edwards, O’Connor (second), 5-0, 1 abstain.
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
– Conservation is looking at an additional trail that may allow dogs off-leash.
– The Pavilion approved for construction has been delayed due to the approximately 250% increase in the cost of lumber. The project is currently about $9,000 over what was approved, and the amount issued to the town in a grant. The Commission unanimously agreed not to under-engineer the current project promised to the town and would like to find the necessary money to complete the project as approved. The First Selectman suggested we take the project out to bid to get a lower cost. The commission stated this may not create the desired effect due to the rising costs of material. Mr. Palmer suggested we use the unused tennis court repair funds ($11,000) to fill the $9,000 gap to finish the Pavilion. Mr. Blick will start the Bid order process in the meantime.
DISCUSSION OF PLAYGROUND WORKING GROUP
– A member of the Playground working group, Laura Gibbons, explained the purpose and function of the group. Mrs. Carlson has already agreed to join the group, and Mr. Jones was hoping to get one more commissioner to represent the commission during the planning phase of the new playground.
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS OR INITIATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
Motion Jones, Carlson (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:16 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones