Park and Recreation Commission
September 13, 2021 Redding Community Center
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Pete Graziano, Lorcan O’Connor, Scott Palmer, Mary Lou Carlson
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:31 pm.
REVIEW OF DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Mr. Blick reviewed his report:
– Topstone Park is closed for the season. We had a small group of lifeguards available which allowed us to finish the season. The Docks are in.
– Mr. Blick found someone to complete the drawings for the Pavillion.
– The gymnasium floor is curing. Open gym and classes should begin on the 9/23.
LETTERS OR CORRESPONDENCE
Kim Becker talked about adding lines to the tennis courts for Pickleball. Lines are a different color than the tennis lines, and enable the game to be played outside. She explained that they have a group of approximately 50 players, ranging in age from mid-30’s to much older. We will be adding a Sunday time slot for Pickleball in the gym as well..
Danielle Garavito came on to express her concern for how we handled the end of Summer Camp. Parents were alerted on the Monday of camp that it had been cancelled due to Covid concerns. She wishes in the future that there be more information available for parents, and that notice be given earlier. Mr. Blick explained that the biggest concern was a lack of staff, and hopes that we can learn from this experience.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM August 2, 2021
Motion to approve the minutes: O’Connor, Carlson (second), unanimous.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM August 31, 2021
Motion to approve the minutes: O’Connor, Palmer (second), unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
– Mr. Blick stated that the Pavillion was officially approved.
– Mrs. Carlson has asked about the concerns expressed by the Commission regarding the install of the playground, and has yet to hear back.
– Extended Day has an ongoing issue with space availability. As the school year moves froward, we are beginning to get more space but we still don’t have the needed room for all programs. We are continuing to look into the cost of expanding the Community Center for additional classroom space for after school programming.
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS OR INITIATIVES
Mrs. Carlson asked if it would be possible to continue the Concert on the Green series into September in future years. She also asked if there could be a possible Art program for high school students offered after school/
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
Motion Carlson, Palmer (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:07 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones