Park and Recreation Commission
October 4, 2021 Redding Community Center
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Pete Graziano, Lorcan O’Connor, Mitch Edwards, Tami O’Connor, Kim Becker
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:31 pm.
REVIEW OF DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Mr. Blick reviewed his report:
– At least four programs have been delayed a week due to lower numbers. Numbers are lower overall, possibly due to masks being required for many activities.
– Adult, vaccinated players can shed their masks while participating, but still must wear them while entering and exiting the building.
– All youth programs will continue to wear masks.
– Basketball league registration forms are ready to go.
– We will have a Pickleball Day event on October 16.
– We are hoping to have our volunteers open and close the Topstone gate daily starting next week.
– Extended Day has transitioned into the spaces at RCC since we have but one room at the elementary school on a daily basis, which has created a challenge to scheduling.
– Mr. Blick is getting quotes for modular classrooms that can be either leased or purchased, while we investigate how to solve the space issues for our programming.
– The Pavillion now has drawings that will be converted into plans, hoping to have the footings and cement floor done before Thanksgiving.
– We have some animal and grub damage to Field 1 and 2, our vendor is coming out Monday to the address the grubs and repair the turf.
– We again will be partnering with the Neighbors and Newcomers Event “Trunk or Treat” on October 30. It will be made to flow in one direction, and we will not have an indoor music component.
– The Tree Lightning will return to the Green on Saturday December 4th., with the JBHS and JRMS choirs.
– We may hold off on our Coffee House series, possibly starting in January with a shorter season.
LETTERS OR CORRESPONDENCE
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
Mr. Graziano suggested we ask the Playground working group to give an update for our November meeting. He stated that the group expressed concern regarding the organization of volunteers to complete the playground installation upon delivery.
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS OR INITIATIVES
Mr. Blick outlined some budget items that may be included in our request this January.
– Additional tables for the Pavillion ($3-4k)
– Tennis court repair and repainting ($50k) vs. Complete replacement ($300-400K) – Possible federal funding that may be available?
– Pickleball equipment (less than $2k)
– Topstone playground needs to be replaced, or it needs to be knocked down and removed.
– RecTrack upgrade – free, but requires Training and data conversion (46k)
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM September 13, 2021
Motion to approve the minutes: O’Connor, L; Jones (second), unanimous (4 abstain).
Motion Jones, O’Connor, T (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:32 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones