Commission members: P Degener, Chair; S. Palmer, C. Hunter, J. Board, K. Jones, M. McClung, L. Valenti, V. Alward (7:45 pm), J. Dorenbosch (8:15 pm)
Staff: R. Blick
Mr. Degener called the meeting on March 23, 2015 to order at 7:32 pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of the February 23, 2015 meeting be accepted as submitted. Board, Palmer. Approved. 6-0-1. Mrs. McClung abstained.
Mrs. Alward arrived during the discussion below (7:45 pm)
Mr. Blick provided his monthly report for March. . He highlighted the most recent information:
- Budget: only change was to split Topstone improvements over a two year span and the guardrail fence around the fields was deleted.
- Athletic Fields: the fields are still covered with snow, and the opening date will likely be pushed back.
- Basketball Palooza is this weekend, and there will be 15 youth teams. The funds raised this year will go to fix the basketball courts at the Boys & Girls Club.
- Brochure: this was mailed out last week and is available online.
- Town website: a new Town website is in the development stage and should be up and running by the end of April. The new site will be more user friendly for both the public and the administrators.
- Easton Redding Community Coalition: Mr. Blick has been attending these meetings. The group focuses on developing and coordinating services that reduce the harmful effects of substance abuse and addiction
- Concert on the Green: the schedule has been set, and can be found in the brochure.
- Concerts at Topstone: a few musical events have been planned, also listed in the brochure.
- Topstone Beach: Katie Cieri will be the Director this summer, with assistants Paris McAdam and Chris Haferl. They will be doing trainings and the lifeguard course. Katie is also working on minor revisions to the staff manual.
- Softball: six teams will make up the league
- Community Garden: all the plots have been assigned, and there is a short waitlist.
Laura Anderson submitted a written report on the classes that were offered over the winter, and the participation numbers. She also included a report on the Basketball program and some of the new Spring offerings. Laura was thanked for her comprehensive and helpful report.
Motion: move that the Park & Recreation Commission accept the Director’s Reports as submitted. Palmer, Alward. Approved. Unanimous.
New computer and robotics classes are being offered this spring. If these are successful, a Maker Space program & 3-D printer will be considered.
ATHLETIC FIELDS’ INITIATIVE
Mr. Degener and Mr. Jones are working on fundraising efforts for the athletic field conversion project. He expects these efforts will take off shortly. He noted that the funding for RCC Field #2, $660,000, will be on the referendum in May. A public meeting will be scheduled in April to review the entire project and the costs. Mr. Jones has collected a good deal of information that will be presented at the meeting.
The Board of Finance is finalizing the budget at their meeting tonight.
Mr. Dorenbosch arrived, 8:15 pm
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Palmer, Board Approved Unanimous.
The meeting adjourned at 8:16 pm
Submitted by Mary Maday, Recording Secretary