Park and Recreation Commission
August 31, 2021 Redding Community Center
Special Meeting Minutes
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Lorcan O’Connor, Scott Palmer, Mary Lou Carlson
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:32 pm.
DISCUSSION OF PLAYGROUND DESIGN PROPOSAL
The playground design proposal was discussed. The project includes all the material for the previously-approved playground project at RCC. The proposal came in under the approved $35,000 budget, with the town providing installation. The installation of the playground elements is expected to be volunteer-driven. The amin element used for construction of the project is Eastern Cedar. If approved, the project materials could be delivered and installed by November 2021. The Commission had several questions regarding logistics that should be answered before proceeding with final installation.
The commission would like the town and playground working group top look at the following items:
– Who will ensure it is being installed correctly? Is someone from the vendor intending to guide the volunteer installation process?
– Can the company provide references of other towns who have installed the playgrounds on their own? Once can imply from the company material that this is a common occurrence.
– Mrs. Carlson mentioned there will be some carpentry and special tools required. Can we get a list of those items and skills now?
– How quickly can we get a copy of the installation instructions and diagrams? The commission assumes there will be certain items that will require footings or other safety requirements.
– We should compile a list if items the town is providing to complete the project.
MOTION TO ACCEPT PLAYGROUND DESIGN PROPOSAL
Motion O’Connor, Carlson (second), unanimous.
Motion Jones, Palmer (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:00 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones