Park and Recreation Commission
September 12, 2016
Present: K. Jones, S. Palmer, J. Dorenbosch (8:02), R. Brier
Also Present: Rob Blick
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:45 pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of August 8, 2016 meeting be accepted as presented. Brier, Dorenbosch. Approved. Unanimous.
Mr. Blick reviewed his written report
- Community Center Gym: The floors are being resurfaced; therefore programs won’t start until 9/22.
- Extended Day Senior Program: This is being run by Mrs. A.
- Extended day: The first day of school was August 31st and this program is going smoothly.
- Summer Camp: Attendance was up by about 4 campers. Dina and Jeff did a great job.
- Topstone Beach: The bathroom contractor is scheduled to return next week to finish up a few details.
- Topstone Park: The docks have been pulled in. Some trees near the entrance will be taken down in the next few weeks to make the entranceway more visible. Mr. Blick met with someone to discuss options for improving the playground. He hopes to have some layouts soon.
- Field Maintenance: It has been a challenge to try to keep staff members at less than 29 total hours. All three fields were fertilized this week. RES and JRMS had work done on them by the organic contractor. There were issues with repairs to wells and the irrigation system, but they ae functioning well now.
- Athletic Fields: Assignment of the fields and gym has been a challenge for the fall.
Communication was received regarding the tennis program and a teacher from Fairfield tennis. There was concern over the teacher’s physical ability. Mr. Blick responded that he is looking for additional instructors to teach and perhaps open it up for additional classes for the spring and the summer.
Mr. Chris Hocker attended the meeting to discuss the Redding Athletic Fields Foundation. This foundation was set up as a 501C3 organization. Mr. Hocker explained that the idea of the foundation is to house any funds raised through private donations. The funds could then be used for work done to fields or facilities associated with the town.
DISCUSSION OF SKATE PARK
Mr. Jones discussed some preliminary prices that he had received. Some sample layouts were presented and discussion ensued about possible cost, design and operations.
Before adjourning Mr. Jones wanted to recognize Mary Maday for her years of service and thank her for everything that she has done.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Palmer, Dorenbosch. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 pm.
Submitted by Ronna Brier