Park and Recreation Commission
October 3, 2016
Present: K. Jones, J. Board, S. Palmer, C. Hunter, J. Dorenbosch (8pm)
Also Present: Rob Blick and 6 Members of the Public
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:31 pm
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: Move that the minutes of Sept. 12, 2016 be accepted as presented. Palmer, Jones. Approved. Board and Hunter abstained.
- Blick reviewed his written report.
- Gym Floor resurfaced.
- Open Gym attendance has been low.
- Highway Dept pulled the Topstone Park docks and the stages on the Green.
- Highway Dept, in conjunction with the town Open Space Manager, clearing some trees along the road and entrance for visibility and appearance.
- The Scouts and Fire Department have offered to help with stage maintenance next Spring.
- The Park and Rec vehicle, shared with Willie, broke down and is not fixable. Long Term Finance Committee is aware and Julie needs to confirm that the trucks are irreparable before any replacement decisions can be made.
- Ice Rink – Rob met with Julia regarding location and maintenance. Also met with Kristen Cowen, pro bono architect, about design around the ice rink. Rob promised snow all winter.
- Topstone Bathrooms – painting is finishing up. Inspection expected for next week.
- Programs: Dodgeball successful previous weekend. Ultimate Frisbee for middleschoolers and a dodgeball for 3-4th grade upcoming.
- RES School Dismissal Manager not problem free. Still working out the kinks.
DISCUSSION OF SKATE PARK
Mr. Jones presented some initial research regarding concrete vs modular pricing from the American Ramp Company.
The 6 members of the public formed their own committee and offered to:
1) Make sure the proposed site is usable
2) Determine design
3) Determine budget (to include sire exploration, design and construction)
4) Pursue grant writing and fundraising options
5) Consider plantings, fencing, gate and other items
6) Consider operation times and age group designations
7) Proper signage in consultation with the Town
The Commission and Mr.Blick offered use of the Community Center in the evening for the group’s meetings, if needed.
DISCUSSION OF TOPSTONE PARK GATE
Mr. Blick reported that the gate has been opened and locked by neighboring volunteers, but no longer. A new family has offered to close and lock the gate on weeknight, the police will open it in the mornings – before 9 am at the latest, and Rob is locking and opening it on Friday and Saturday until a volunteer can be found.
DISCUSSION OF TRUNK OR TREAT
Ms. Hunter reported it is being held on Saturday, October 29, 2016. The formula will follow that of the past two years with P&R staff operating music and refreshments and light snack inside, a couple of decorated doors, and delivering candy to trunks. Redding Neighbors and Newcomers will operate and vet the sign up and trunk sign up. Families are to bring 1 bag of individually wrapped candy per child for admittance.
DISCUSSION OF ANNUAL REPORT
Kevin will write and submit.
Motion Palmer, Dorenbosch. Adjourned at 8:19 pm.
Submitted by Caroline Hunter