Park & Recreation Commission
November 7, 2016
Present: K. Jones, C. Hunter, S. Palmer (7:56pm)
Also Present: Rob Blick and 2 Members of the Public
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:33 pm
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A quorum was not present for action to be taken.
- Blick reviewed his written report.
- Program offerings review; basketball league is starting in the next two weeks. Available space is being balanced with program needs.
- Season-end work has been done on RCC fields. Irrigation and water are being shutoff at RCC, Community Garden and Topstone this week.
- Highway department cut down several trees near the entrance of Topstone in an effort to make the entrance to the park more pleasant and easily visible.
- Department Head initial budget meeting is Nov 17.
- Additional program offerings were discussed, including the successful trip to the Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce, School of Rock on Nov. 19.
- The Tree Lighting is December 3.
- Maintenance of the Ice Rink is being discussed and planed next week.
2 members of the public presented an idea to build a dog park at RCC. There are 1060 registered dogs in Redding. The enclosure would be a simple post and fence setup, similar to the Community Gardens. They are trying to solicit donations to make this project “cost-free” to the town. Several ideas were discussed, including using the area above the RCC2 parking area, just east of the gardens. A plan was put in place to allow the group to move forward with their idea to see the park is feasible.
DISCUSSION OF ANNUAL REPORT
Mr. Jones reviewed the text submitted for the Redding Annual Report.
DISCUSSION OF BUDGET
Mr. Blick discussed the needs of Park and Recreation going forward, which included Phase 3 of Topstone improvements, machine and vehicle repair., the need for a new mower and groomer. 2 trucks have been replaced recently.
Motion Hunter, Palmer. Adjourned at 8:25 pm.
Submitted by: Kevin Jones.