Park & Recreation Commission
December 5, 2016
Present: K. Jones, C. Hunter, S. Palmer, J. Board, R. Brier (7:56)
Also Present: Rob Blick and 2 Members of the Public
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:32 pm
- Blick reviewed his written report.
- The Basketball program has begun. Goal of only having 8-9 players per team was attained, which maximizes player participation. A few coaches needed to be hired to cover spots where volunteers could not be found.
- High school basketball program enrollment continues, with a deadline of Saturday, Dec. 10.
- The Town Tree lighting was a success, with the exceptional help provided by volunteers from the Lions Club and Keystone Club.
- The Lyrics Coffeehouse program was a great success this past Saturday, with Redding resident David Morgan bringing three other guest musicians to fill the evening with a night of jazz music to remember. The next performance will be on Thursday, January 5th.
- The town Ice Rink boards have been set up on RCC field 2. When conditions allow the rink will open.
- Rough budget numbers have been worked out. This years numbers will allow Park and Recreation to have less of an impact on the town budget.
2 members of the public returned to discuss progress on a dog park at RCC. Town dog owners will be contacted in a fundraising effort to support the park. The target funding goal is $10-$15 thousand. The project has received an initial approval to move forward with the project, and next steps were discussed. A neighbor has offered to help defray the cost of the fence that will be used.
The Commission agreed to fully support the project going forward, and write a letter to the Selectman for the purpose of supporting the Dog Park initiative:
Motion Palmer, Hunter, Approved 5-0-0.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion Hunter, Palmer, Approved 3-0-2 (Abstained: Board, Brier).
DISCUSSION OF OLD BUSINESS
Mr. Board asked Mr. Blick for a Vehicles update (discussed at November mtg). Mr. Blick provided the update.
DISCUSSION OF COMMISSION MEMBERSHIP
No changes since last meeting.
DISCUSSION OF ICE SKATING RINK RULES AND USAGE
Mr. Blick provided research from several towns around the state. A discussion was held to select rules/edit rules to provide the best experience for Redding skaters.
MOTION TO APPROVE ICE SKATING RINK RULES AND REGULATIONS AS REVISED BY THE COMMISSION
Motion Board, Hunter, Approved 5-0-0.
DISCUSSION OF ICE SKATING RINK LIGHTING
Mr. Blick provided information on some possibilities to best to light the rink when needed.
DISCUSSION OF BUDGET
Mr. Blick reviewed the initial budget proposal with the Commission. The final numbers will be presented at the Town Budget Workshop on January 6 at 8am.
FUTURE COMMISSION MEETING DATES
Mr. Jones has sent the 2017 meeting dates to the commission members, as well as submitted them to the town clerk, to be posted onthe Town of Redding website.
Motion Board, Hunter. Approved 5-0-0 Adjourned at 9:04 pm.
Submitted by: John Board