Park and Recreation Commission
November 11, 2021 Redding Community Center
Present: Kevin Jones (Chair), Pete Graziano, Lorcan O’Connor, Mitch Edwards, Tami O’Connor, Kim Becker, MaryLou Carlson
CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Jones called the meeting to order at 7:37 pm.
REVIEW OF DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Mr. Blick reviewed his report:
– Mr. Blick has been meeting with new coordinators of several programs to coordinate usage of the facility
– State High School guidelines should be coming out shortly for winter sports, which may or may not change some of our rules for Basketball.
– We may have to use our facility at times on the weekend for vaccinations.
– We are hoping to get the pavilion footings and slab down by early December.
– The Tree lighting is Saturday December 4th.
– The weather cooperated with our collaborative Trunk or Treat event at the end of October.
– Basketball and other winter classes have begun to fill up.
– We raised enough money on our Pickelball day on October 16 to purchase 4 portable mets, and a steel box to put them in.
– Grit Ninja was a new program special event we were able to add on short notice. We hope to come to an arrangement to offer this weekly in the spring.
– The crank on the outdoor basketball hoop stopped working a few weeks ago, and should be repaired soon.
– The repair to damage from skunks and grubs on fields 1 and 2 seems to be going well.
– Extended Day continues to function with one room in the school and in the RCC rooms and gym from 3-6pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM September 13, 2021, 2021
Motion to approve the minutes: O’Connor, T ; Becker (second), unanimous.
LETTERS OR CORRESPONDENCE
DISCUSSION OF PREVIOUS BUSINESS
The Playground Group update was provided by Mr. Graziano. Phase 1 Construction was to take place in November, with $3500 raised to cover the overage for the installation of the playground. Phase 2 fundraising will begin with different donor levels, in the hopes of adding additional landscaping, an arbor entrance, gathering corners and additional play elements.
Mr. Blick stated the commission needs to decide if we will replace the playground at Topstone or choose to tear down the existing playground.
ADDITIONAL NEW BUSINESS OR INITIATIVES
Mrs. Carlson expressed an interest in re-visiting the idea of adding a fitness trail around the RCC property, and would like to discuss what town resources could be used to start this project.
Mr. Blick is getting estimates for the expansion of the RCC to be able to handle extended day and other programs. He will also procure estimates to replace the aging tennis courts. Both of these projects would have to be put into long term planning.
SUPPLEMENTAL PUBLIC COMMENT
Motion Jones, O’Connor, T (second), unanimous. Adjourned at 8:37 pm
Submitted: Kevin Jones