Commission members: P Degener, Chair; M. McClung, S. Palmer, V. Alward, J. Board, L. Valenti, C. Hunter
Staff: R. Blick
Mr. Degener called the regular meeting on September 22, 2014 to order at 7:33 pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of the August 25, 2014 meeting be accepted as submitted. Valenti, Hunter, McClung. Approved. 5-0-1. Mrs. Valenti
Mr. Blick highlighted his written report for August.
- Building Maintenance: the common areas of the Community Center were painted this month, the Park & Rec office will be done soon.
- Gym Storage addition: work is complete and shelving has been installed. Equipment will be moved in as soon as the painting is completed.
- Field Maintenance equipment is on order, and should arrive next week.
- Trunk or Treat: Mr. Blick will meet with representatives of the Neighbors and Newcomers to review details for the event.
- Topstone Gate: the gate is being opened each day by a volunteer. A trail workshop day is being planned with the Greybeards and other volunteers. The edge of the Pond Trail will be worked on.
- Animal Control Officer Report: The Animal Control Officer reported he had one 74 checks of the Park since July 1. There were no issues to report other than reminding a few people of the ordinance. Mr. Blick reviewed a complaint of last week that was reported to the police. Chief Fuchs will have the Animal Control Officer at the Park more frequently now that the beach is closed for swimming and dog owners may need to be reminded of the leach ordinance.
- Topstone driveway speed signs: new signs have been put up, noting the speed limit of 15 mph.
- Goldman memorial: a plaque has been ordered to honor Alex Goldman. The plaque will be installed on one of the life guard stands.
- Adult Softball league completed the season.
- Heritage Center: Mr. Blick has been working with the Heritage Center staff to get programs up and running on RecTrac.
Motion: move that the Park & Recreation Commission accept the Director’s Report as submitted. Hunter, McClung. Approved. Unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF FOOD PANTRY
Mrs. McClung reported on her discussion of the stocking of the food pantry with Gail Schiron. The food donations tend to diminish during the summer months. She suggested that a simple sign be put up reminding visitors of the importance of the food pantry and provide a box/bin for donations. Mr. Blick will work out something for the summer camp programs.
Mr. Degener reported the concept of the Town funding 1/3 of the cost, with 1/3 coming from money being raised privately, and the final 1/3 from the STEAP Grant, is becoming more viable. The Board of Selectmen is aware that the STEAP Grant will expire next year if not used. He believes that private fundraising efforts will begin soon.
DISCUSSION OF TOPSTONE PARK SURVEY
Mr. Board presented his preliminary analysis of the 132 survey responses received. He summarized the primary interests: swimming area, park activities (food, trails, volleyball), and facilities (including benches, trails and shelter). The survey will be closed at the end of the month and Mr. Board will finalize the summary of results. Mr. Degener suggested that Mr. Board, Mr. Palmer and Mr. Blick prepare recommendations based on the surveys. These recommendations may impact the budget planning.
DISCUSSION OF TEEN CENTER PLANNING
Mrs. Alward provided an update on what her informal committee has done regarding the creation of a teen center in town. They are in discussions with the Boys & Girls Club for use of their facility. They may begin with special activities/events that interest the teens. Mr. Board offered his assistance.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Hunter, Alward. Approved Unanimous.
The meeting adjourned at 8:35 pm
Submitted by Mary Maday, Recording Secretary