Commission members: P Degener, Chair; J. Dorenbosch, M. McClung, J. Board, G. Miyashiro,
C. Hunter, P. Darlington
Mr. Degener called the regular meeting on February 25, 2014 to order at 7:34 pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move to approve the minutes of the January 27, 2014 meeting as corrected. Dorenbosch, Board. Approved. Unanimous.
Corrections: minor typos were corrected.
Mr. Blick highlighted his written report.
- FOI (Freedom of Information) session was informative. Both he and Mr. Degener attended the session.
- Youth Triathlon: race organizer Geoff Morris is interested in moving the event to Topstone this spring. Mr. Degener will distribute a letter with further information.
- Entertainment showcase: Mr. Blick attended the event and found a few new bands for the summer concert series.
- Basketball: this is going well, with some rescheduling due to the snow storms.
- Snow Plowing: the Town is doing the plowing at Topstone, but this is not a high priority Mr. Blick will check to be sure there has been plowing done on the roadway into the park for access in the event of an emergency.
Storage buildings: the proposal if being finalized and approved by the State KROG program. This program enables contractors to be preapproved as “a quality contractor” at a statewide low bid price. The field storage building does not have electricity due to the cost of bringing electrical service to the building. There has been discussion of four sky lights in the roof to allow natural light into the building.
- Halloween event: Mr. Blick is setting up a meeting to discuss coordination of Halloween events and volunteers. The meeting will include representatives of RES, Neighbors & Newcomers and P&R staff.
Motion: move that the Park & Recreation Commission accept the Director’s Report as submitted. Dorenbosch, Board. Approved. Unanimous.
1. Youth Triathlon: Mr. Blick recapped the ToughKIDS Triathlon event that has been held in Ridgefield. He described the race that occurs on May 31, between 8 am and 10am. The event is a fundraiser; the organizer will provide the lifeguards for the event and provide supervision for the event and insurance. Details will need to be worked out with the Zoning Commission and the Police Department.
Motion: move that the P&R Commission approve of the ToughKids Triathlong event on May 31, 2014 at Topstone Park. Board, Miyashiro. Approved. Unanimous.
2. Leash Ordinance & Enforcement: Mr. Degener and Mr. Blick met with Police Chief Fuchs and First Selectman Pemberton to discuss enforcement of the new Leash Ordinance at Topstone Park. Chief Fuchs will create a reporting form to report noncompliance and P&R will create policy guidelines for enforcement. Mr. Blick shared the procedures Five signs; 24” x 18” will be posted at each of the Park entrances. He reviewed the procedures.
3. Trail Planning & Restoration: Mr. Blick a small group will be formed to determine what sections of the trails will need repair. He will contact Stuart Green to assist. A trail workshop is planned for March 22, 2014.
4. Topstone Park Survey: the work on the survey completed and will be advertised in April
Mr. Degener reported that Mr. Miyashiro is resigning as a Park & Recreation Commission member. Mr. Board will take over the work on the Topstone Survey that Mr. Miyashiro has been instrumental in.
RCC STORAGE: Some of the prep work will be done by the Highway Department and will be done as time allows.
BUDGET PLAN: the budget as submitted will be presented at the Town Budget Meeting on March 6, 2014 at 7:30 pm at JRMS.
Motion: move that the meeting recess to executive session for a discussion of performance review of Rob Blick. Dorenbosch, Board. Approved. Unanimous.
Mr. Blick was invited to be present.
The meeting recessed at 8:43 pm
The Chair reconvened the meeting in public session at 8:53 pm
No action was taken.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Dorenbosch, McClung. Approved Unanimous.
The meeting adjourned at 8:54
Mary Maday, Recording Secretary