Commission members: P. Degener, Chair, P. Darlington, M. McClung, G. Miyashiro, S. Palmer,
Staff present: R. Blick
Mr. Degener called the May 30, 2013 meeting to order at 7:38 pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of April 22, 2013 be approved. Miyashiro, Darlington. Approved. Unanimous.
Mr. Blick highlighted his written report:
- Topstone Park: The Park is open with beach hours on weekends, and an abbreviated afternoon schedule until the full opening later in June. Staff orientation and training workshops are underway.
- Topstone Gate & Parking; the creation of additional parking spaces has been completed. The Highway Department was thanked for their work on that project and the moving of the changing rooms/shower.
- .Annual Civics Day: two students shadowed P&R staff for the day and the experience was a good one, both for students and staff.
- Softball League: the group is up and running.
- Concert on the Green: The first concert is scheduled for June 9. Paul Degener and Ryan Brown will oversee that first concert, introduce the band and thank the sponsors. Donations are still needed.
- Basketball program for grades 5-8 and 9-12: a free program of pick-up games is being offered by Dan Sullivan. They will use the RES outdoor courts.
Motion: move that the Director’s Report be accepted. Miyashiro, Palmer. Approved. Unanimous.
FIELDS ISSUE UPDATE
Mr. Dorenbosch provided a written report since he could not be at the meeting. He reported on the number of people who addressed the Region 9 Board of Education at a recent meeting, speaking in support for the athletic field upgrade, specifically the upgrade to an artificial turf football field. He also asked that there be follow up on the issue of the STEAP grant transferability from the Town to the school district. Mr. Degener will follow up with Representative John Shaban on the issue.
RCC STORAGE/MAINTENANCE PLANS
Mr. Blick reported that the engineering firm, Design Two, had provided plans for the storage area to be added to the building for the gym equipment. The engineer is reviewing preliminary plans with the Zoning Enforcement Officer. Mr. Blick will meet with Mr. Palmer for further review of the plans. Plans for the equipment storage facility have not been completed. The engineer is checking on the need for an A-2 survey.
TOPSTONE PARK SURVEY, POLICIES AND PRESERVATION PLANS
The subcommittee did not meet. No discussion
DOG LEASH ORDINANCE
Mr. Degener provided a draft letter to the Selectmen for discussion. His intent is to contact Conservation Commission Chairman David Pattee regarding the potential ordinance and its application to the Town’s open space. He will submit the letter to the Board of Selectmen, along with sample ordinances from other Redding towns and a draft ordinance. He hopes to be on the Board of Selectmen agenda for their June 17, 2013 meeting.
Motion: move that the meeting be adjourned. Miyashiro, Palmer. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting concluded at 8:17 pm
Mary Maday, Recording Secretary