Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Nancy King; seated as Chairman; James Bacon, Alt., seated for T. Welles; Anda Cumings; Steve Gagnon; Chuck Cilo; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Absent: Toby Welles, Chairman; Claire Matzke, Alt.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
Aimee Pardee, ZEO/WEO
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 4/10/18
On the motion of C. Cilo and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 4/10/18 Meeting Minutes.
II. TO VOTE: DISCUSS CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL. INPUT FROM PUBLIC AT PUBLIC HEARING ONLY.
Resubdivision App. #527, 42 Wayside Lane, Paula S. Cartoun, Trust. Proposed resubdivision of 9.31 acres into 2 lots. Presentation 11/28/17. Public Hearing opened 1/9/18. Continued 1/23/18, 2/13/18. Extension granted to 2/27/18. Public Hearing closed 2/27/18. Deadline to Vote 4/24/18. TO VOTE.
Mr. and Mrs. Cartoun were present along with Michael Mazzucco.
It was moved by N. King, seconded by A. Cumings, to approve the development of Land Requiring Special Precautions on Lot(s) 1 and 2, in accordance with Section 3.3 and 4.1.6 of the Subdivision Regulations. We have considered the record in this application including the report of the Inland Wetlands Commission and find, as proposed, no adverse impact will be created to health, safety, natural resources, the natural environment and indigenous character of the land. The motion was approved unanimously.
On the motion of N. King and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission moved to relocate the rock on Wayside Lane subject to approval of the Redding Planning Commission at the location as determined by Mr. Mazzucco. The motion was approved unanimously.
It was moved by N. King, seconded by C. Cilo, “based on evidence and the record compiled for Application #527, to approve this Application subject to the Modifications and Special and Standard Conditions as amended (on file at the Land Use Office.)” J. Bacon abstained.
1. Referral from Zoning: Amendment to Zoning Regulations 3.14, 5.1, 5.4, 5.11.2. Public Hearing scheduled for 5/9/18. To discuss. Report from John Hayes due.
John Hayes provided a preliminary report. The final version will be discussed at the next meeting. A. Pardee clarified the proposed amendment to notification of direct abutters within 100 feet in order to capture the impacted residents.
2. Request from Robert Allison, 63 Stepney Road. To discuss a solution to alleviate the problem of large trucks, tour buses, etc. from using narrow town roads, such as Poverty Hollow Road, as cut-through roads.
Discussion tabled pending update from T. Welles.
3. Reference App. #513, 52 Mountain Road, “Pay Dirt LLC”, Atty. Neil Marcus, agent. Request to amend approved subdivision. Site Walk 2/25/18. Report from J. Hayes.
Mr. Deickler, his partner, and Atty. Neil Marcus were present. J. Brooks noted that a response from Milone & MacBroom re: drainage on the road is still outstanding. N. King read an email from Finance Director Steve Gniadek regarding the bond in addition to a letters from Town Counsel M. LaVelle and Atty. Bowser from Collins Hannafin, both dated August, 2017.
Commission Counsel Peter Olsen will be contacted to assist in releasing the bond.
Mr. Mazzucco stated that some of the drainage work has been completed. He emailed a proposed drainage revision to Milone & MacBroom and is awaiting a response.
Atty. Marcus reviewed his response to comments from J. Hayes regarding the proposed accessway within the minimum rectangle. Mr. Hayes will review the letter from Atty. Marcus and Commission Counsel will be consulted.
4. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2018
2018 Plan Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email. Planning@townofreddingct.org.
A special meeting will be scheduled to review assigned chapters.
Mr. Bacon will coordinate with John Hayes re: Chapter 10, Georgetown.
5. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors.
J. Brooks reviewed her Scenic Road observations from a recent drive. The gullies on Topstone Road continue to be of concern. T. Welles will be asked to reschedule a dirt road expert to consult with the Highway Department.
6. Subdivision Regulation Revisions: S.R. 4.5. Discussion.
7. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Updated version reviewed by Counsel. Discussion of Commission’s review.
Discussion tabled pending receipt of T. Welles’ requested clarifications from Commission Counsel. J. Brooks will re-send the draft to Commission members.
8. IHZ Status. Discussion for action.
J. Brooks is requesting immediate action before the property is lost and the issue becomes moot.
1. Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates. 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor requests permission to move the driveway to the south. Site Walk 2/25/18. Report from J. Hayes.
2. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
3. Cul-de-sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
4. Establish W. Redding as an attractive Cultural Center.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Giles Hill Road will be paved 4/30/18. J. Brooks noted that she has not received a yearly paving scheduled as requested from the Highway Department.
Nancy King noted receipt of a report from Charlie Couch re: completion of the archaeological survey for Parson’s Reserve on Limekiln Road.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:45 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly