Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles, Chairman; James Bacon, Alt., seated for N. King; Anda Cumings, seated at 7:40 p.m.; Steve Gagnon; Chuck Cilo; Claire Matzke, Alt., Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for A. Cumings until 7:40 p.m. Absent: Nancy King
Also present: John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant; Aimee Pardee, ZEO/WEO
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 5/8/18
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of S. Gagnon, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 5/8/18 Minutes.
- Reference App. #513, 52 Mountain Road, “Pay Dirt LLC”, Atty. Neil Marcus, agent. Request to alter approved plan: drainage at street and easement in minimum rectangle for drive to serve 48 Mountain Road. Site Walk 2/25/18. Report from Milone & MacBroom re: drainage from new drive extension. Possible vote with condition of resolution of ridgeline easement revision per Peter Olson memo.
Mr. Deickler was present in addition to Atty. Neil Marcus and engineer Michael Mazzucco. T. Welles stated that Milone & MacBroom has evaluated the drainage, however, they need to evaluate the completed work as it relates to the bond release. The issue of the modified ridges in easement must also be resolved with the town. Mr. Welles will draft a letter re: ridgeline easement for the Board of Selectmen. Per Commission Counsel P. Olson, release of the bond for completed work will go to the prior owner.
Mr. Welles suggested that it may be appropriate for the town of collect a bond from PayDirt Inc. for some of the work that needs to be completed on the property. Atty. Marcus stated that bonding in the state of CT has changed in that only bonds towards public improvements may be collected by the town; bonds towards private improvements are no longer allowed to be collected by Planning. T. Welles will confirm with Commission Counsel.
M. Mazzucco will submit a final map for Commission approval incorporating all modification discussed in recent meetings.
John Hayes noted his concerns regarding the size of the lot once the driveway easement for 48 Mountain Road is excluded from the calculation. M. Mazzucco confirmed that this have been addressed via lot line revision between 48 and 52 Mountain Road. The new map will delineate the revised lot line.
Discussion will continue pending receipt of the new plans.
- Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2018
2018 Plan Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email. Planning@townofreddingct.org.
Assigned chapters will be reviewed at the next meeting, 6/12/18 at 6:30 p.m. It was decided that the 6/12/18 meeting will only include discussion of Application #513 and the Town Plan of Development.
John Hayes and T. Welles will schedule a meeting to be held prior to 6/12/18. T. Welles will look into what budget accounts for the Town Plan printing costs.
- Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors.
T. Welles reviewed his discussion with Highway Superintendent Jeff Hansen. Mr. Hansen reported that the town is employing a new method of dirt road maintenance which uses more gravel. Mr. Welles reported on the consequent berms on the sides of plowed roads.
Ms. Matzke reported on the amount of invasive species on Mark Twain Lane. A. Pardee reviewed the danger of spreading Japanese knotweed that can arise from dirt being moved around.
- Subdivision Regulation Revisions: R. 4.5. Discussion.
John Hayes reported that his final revisions are complete and will be submitted when typed.
- Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Updated version reviewed by Counsel. Discussion of Commission’s review.
Toby Welles will request Commission Counsel to attend a meeting to discuss and review concerns.
- IHZ Status. Discussion for action.
- Discussion of solution to prevent truck and tour bus traffic on narrow roads, i.e. GPS companies. Seek help from legislators.
Toby Welles will contact the Police Department for further review and action.
- Planning Commission needs schedule for reconstruction of town roads for the season. Giles Hill notice received.
Receipt of the requested road schedule is pending.
- Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates. 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor requests permission to move the driveway to the south. Site Walk 2/25/18. Report from J. Hayes.
- Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
- Cul-de-sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
- Establish W. Redding as an attractive Cultural Center.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
James Bacon requested repair to the Land Use Office parking lot due to the ongoing drainage issues.
Toby Welles reported on the recent passing of Town Historian Charley Couch.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:35 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly