Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
Tuesday, July 10, 2018
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Nancy King, seated as Chairman, Chuck Cilo; Anda Cumings; James Bacon, Alt., seated for T. Welles; Steve Gagnon; Claire Matzke, Alt.
Absent: Toby Welles; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Also present: Aimee Pardee, ZEO/WEO
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 6/26/18
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of C. Cilo, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 6/26/18 Meeting.
Mr. Bacon requested that Pending Item 2 on the Agenda be edited to more accurately reflect that his suggestions were forwarded to Commission Counsel.
1. Reference Subdivision App. #495, 63 Mountain Road. Request to alter approved subdivision plan to allow removal/replacement of one tree. To Discuss/Vote.
A photograph of the trees was reviewed. Comments from Tree Warden Sean McNamara noted that the tree is on private property which is out of his purview. A. Pardee stated that the tree being discussed was listed as an asset tree on the subdivision maps.
On the motion of S. Gagnon and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to not interfere with the owner’s wish to cut down either or both trees due to safety concerns.
The Commission had a positive response to the owner’s offer to replace removed trees.
2. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors. Monitors locate asset trees by address. Old Hattertown Road encroachment and Sanfordtown Road mowing.
Claire Matzke reviewed an area of extensive mulching on Umpawaug Road. Photos were inspected. A. Pardee noted that the designated Town right-of-way differs for each road.
3. Paving Schedule for roads. Discussion.
Re: adding Poverty Hollow to the paving schedule, Highway Superintendent Jeff Hanson reported that Poverty Hollow will not be added this year. T. Welles will be asked to follow up with Mr. Hanson.
4. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008. Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email Planning@townofreddingct.org for John Hayes. Review Chapters 5 and 6.
Chuck Cilo has posted his notes for Chapter 4. John Hayes will be providing required statistical data. C. Matzke reviewed Chapter 8 in detail.
Mr. Hayes reported that he met with representatives of Ridgefield and Weston regarding future development directions for Georgetown. He stated the maps are being updated for CDM Smith. A. Pardee stated that Conservation Commission Chair Pattee would like to be included in the next meeting with CDM.
Chapters 9 and 10 will be reviewed at a Special Meeting scheduled for Tues., 7/17/18 at 6:00 p.m. A timetable of due dates will be reviewed at the next meeting. In light of anticipated upcoming completion dates, administrative and/or technical assistance was offered to Mr. Hayes.
5. Discuss recognition of Jo-an’s years of service.
An event is being considered for early fall. J. Brooks will be contacted re: possible dates.
1. Reference Subdivision App. #271, 201 and 203 Poverty Hollow Road. Alteration of lot line. To discuss/vote.
2. Subdivision Regulation Revisions: S.R. 4.5. Other? S.R. 4.8 apply to all lots. J. Hayes to provide drafts. Discussion.
John Hayes read and distributed his Sub. Regulation 4.5 report. Discussion will continue at the next meeting.
3. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Updated version reviewed by Counsel. J. Bacon to provide comments regarding arbitration section.
4. IHZ Status. N. King report regarding list of members of Commission.
5. Discussion of solution to prevent truck and tour bus traffic on narrow roads, i.e. GPS companies, signage. Discuss specific road requiring additional signage.
6. Planning Commission needs schedule for reconstruction of town roads for the season. Giles Hill notice received.
7. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
8. Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates, 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor request of detailed bond release schedule.
9. Cul-de-sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
10. Establish W. Redding as an attractive Cultural Center.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly