Tuesday, August 28, 2018
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Steve Gagnon, seated as Chairman; James Bacon, Alt., seated for T. Welles; Chuck Cilo; Anda Cumings; Claire Matzke, Alt., seated for N. King until 7:47 p.m.; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Absent: Toby Welles, Chairman
Also present: Aimee Pardee, Land Use Director,
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 8/14/18
On the motion of C. Cilo and the second of C. Matzke, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 8/14/18 Meeting Minutes.
1. Referral from Selectmen: Opinion regarding paving of dirt portion of Pocahontas Road.
A. Pardee reported that a letter was sent to all affected residents and responses are pending. She noted that the commission has thirty days to reply to the Selectmen so she suggested the commission wait to see if there are any responses. Additional discussion was tabled until the next meeting.
2. Reference Subdivision App. #506, Ryder Farms, Sylvia Warren (owners), Maxwell Associates (agent). Discussion of Archaeological Easement on property and Phase II Archaeological Survey as it pertains to satisfying the requirements of the Easement. Update.
A. Pardee reported that she met with Atty. Daniel Readyoff, Max Soper from Maxwell Associates and Archaeological Consultant Stuart Reeve regarding possible archeological requirements in the event of proposed development.
Discussion tabled pending further action by the applicant.
3. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors. Old Hattertown Road, encroachment; 230 Poverty Hollow Road and 20 Old Hattertown Road.
Re: Old Hattertown Road, awaiting action by the Land Trust.
S. Gagnon reported that a tree has been cut down on the edge of Cross Highway, a designated Scenic Road. A. Pardee will follow up.
4. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2018. Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email Planning@townofreddingct.org for John Hayes.
J. Hayes reported that his work with CDM is on hold pending return of the consultant due back in mid-September. Mr. Hayes stated that he is now working with WestCOG.
The natural resources map is due by the end of this week and the Georgetown map is due to be complete by the end of next week.
Completion dates were reviewed. N. King will contact Becky Parkin for possible assistance. A Special Meeting is scheduled for 9/4/18 at 6:30 p.m., location TBD.
5. Discussion recognition of Jo-an’s years of service.
Nancy King and Claire Matzke will investigate options.
On the motion of S. Gagnon and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to add discussion of a letter re: 41-45 Dorethy Road as Agenda Item 6.
6. Letter re: 41-45 Dorethy Road.
James Bacon recused himself from discussion. An anonymous letter regarding alleged planned use of a house to be used as a “home for troubled boys” was read by S. Gagnon. A. Pardee noted that a school would be a “Special Use” for the zone this property is in and would therefore be subject to permitting by the Zoning Commission. No application has been received. The letter will be filed for future reference if needed.
1. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. J. Bacon has provided comments. Referred to Peter Olson, Esq.
2. IHZ Status. N. King report regarding list of members of commission.
3. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
4. Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates, 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor request of detailed bond release scheduled.
5. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
6. Establish W. Redding as an attractive Cultural Center.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of C. Cilo, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly