Tuesday, September 11, 2018
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles; Chairman; James Bacon, Alt., seated for S. Gagnon; Chuck Cilo; Anda Cumings; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for N. King.
Absent: Nancy King; Steve Gagnon
Also present: Aimee Pardee, Land Use Director
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 8/28/18 and 9/4/18
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of C. Cilo, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 8/28/18 Meeting Minutes and 9/4/19 Special Meeting Minutes.
1. Referral from Selectmen: Opinion regarding paving of dirt portion of Pocahontas Road. Letters sent to all property owners along dirt portion of road.
Per A. Pardee, one response has been received. T. Welles read the letter that was in support of paving due to apparent drainage issues. Discussion tabled pending receipt of additional responses.
2. 37 Whortleberry Road –Owner: Gerard A. Robertson, Agent: Connecticut Valley Homes. In accordance with the Scenic Road Ordinance, request to remove and reconstruct a portion of an existing stone wall to allow delivery of six sections of a modular home.
Jason Bernier and Dave Cooper were present from Connecticut Valley Homes. The application and accompanying photographs were reviewed. Commissioners suggested using photography to aid in replicating the existing character of the stone wall. T. Welles suggested using neighboring walls as guidelines.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of C. Cilo, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the request to remove and reconstruct a portion of the existing stone wall provided that the stone wall is restored to the historic condition as discussed and according to the stone wall guideline document. Approval is also required by the Police and Highway Departments.
3. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008. Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email Planning@townofreddingct.org for John Hayes.
John Hayes reported that the natural features map is complete and he is awaiting copies. New mapping was reviewed and Mr. Hayes noted that open space easement mapping is in the Open Space section to be submitted by Conservation.
Mr. Hayes is in the process of obtaining total acreages and population, housing and land use statistical tables are forthcoming.
T. Welles will be obtaining open space acreage data from the conservation organizations with land in town.
A Special Meeting is scheduled for 9/18/18 in Town Hall Conference Room at 6:30 p.m.
4. Discussion recognition of Jo-an’s years of service.
Toby Welles is working with Ray D’Angelo on the presentation of an award; there was also discussion of the possibility of planting a tree in her honor.
1. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. J. Bacon has provided comments. Referred to Peter Olson, Esq.
2. IHZ Status. N. King report regarding list of members of commission.
3. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
4. Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates, 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor request of detailed bond release scheduled.
5. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
6. Establish W. Redding as an attractive Cultural Center.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Toby Welles spoke to Commission Counsel Peter Olsen regarding guidelines for an Open Space Committee. Discussion will continue.
Toby Welles provided an update re: Old Hattertown. The CL&P easement will be forwarded to Atty. Olsen for review.
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of C. Cilo, the Commission voted unanimously adjourn the meeting at 8:40 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly