Redding Planning Commission
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles; Chairman; Chuck Cilo; Anda Cumings; R. O’Brien, Alt., seated for N. King; C. Matzke, Alt., seated for S. Gagnon.
Absent: Nancy King; Steve Gagnon; James Bacon, Alt.; A. Pardee, Land Use Director
Also present: John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 9/25/18 and 10/2/18
On the motion of C. Cilo and the second of C. Matzke, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 9/25/18 Meeting Minutes. The 10/2/18 Meeting was cancelled.
1. Old Hattertown Road. Discussion re altered accessway.
Mr. and Mrs. Lipton were present. T. Welles provided a brief history of actions leading to the Cease and Desist. T. Welles summarized the review by Commission Counsel Peter Olson stating that the CL&P easement is for access only by CL&P. Photographic evidence was noted and shared re: recent changes in the appearance of the accessway.
Mr. Welles reported that the Redding Land Trust does not agree with use of the area as a dumping area for brush, logs, etc. It was noted that the Planning Commission does not work with the Land Trust, however the two groups communicate and the Land Trust has requested restoration of the area. T. Welles stated that the Town dump will accept the removed debris and materials free of charge.
Mr. Lipton reported on the “unsafe” sight line at the intersection of Poverty Hollow and Old Hattertown. T. Welles stated that enforcement is a better alternative to speedbumps. Mr. Lipton reported that he has notified the Redding Police Department. Mr. Lipton also noted his concern regarding flooding as a result of recent road resurfacing. T. Welles suggested that Mr. Lipton notify the Highway Department to request a trench if needed.
Mr. Lipton will contact the Land Trust re: remediation.
2. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008. Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email email@example.com for John Hayes.
Toby Welles met with John Hayes 10/8/18. New maps from WestCOG were reviewed. Final tabular data from CDM Smith is awaiting formal authorization from the Town.
Chapter 10 was reviewed with concerns regarding the need to reduce housing density, the increased size of the FEMA floodplain and the need to incorporate a train station.
Comments regarding Chapter 10 should be sent directly to T. Welles.
3. Discussion recognition of Jo-an’s years of service.
Toby Welles stated that J. Brooks was presented with the Charley Couch award at a picnic on the weekend. A tree in her honor will be planted. Details TBA.
1. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. J. Bacon has provided comments. Referred to Peter Olson, Esq.
2. IHZ Status. N. King report regarding list of members of commission.
3. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
4. Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates, 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor request of detailed bond release scheduled.
5. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
6. Establish W. Redding as an attractive Cultural Center.
7. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors. Old Hattertown Road, encroachment. 230 Poverty Hollow Road and 20 Old Hattertown Road.
8. Amendment to Section 5.2 of the Redding Subdivision Regulations regarding clearing and regrading.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of C. Matzke and the second of C. Cilo, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:55 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly