Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
Tuesday, November 27, 2018
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles; Chairman; Anda Cumings; James Bacon, Alt., seated for C. Cilo; Claire Matzke, Alt., seated for S. Gagnon; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for N. King.
Absent: Chuck Cilo; Steve Gagnon; Nancy King
Also present: Aimee Pardee, Town Planning Director
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:38 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Meeting of 11/13/18
On the motion of C. Matzke and the second of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 11/23/18 meeting Minutes.
1. Referral from Zoning: 150 Lonetown Road. Request for a Special Use Permit for an accessory apartment. Public Hearing scheduled for December 12, 2018.
The Commission reviewed the proposal for a 637 sq. ft. accessory apartment in an existing detached garage.
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of C. Matzke, the Commission voted unanimously to forward a positive response to the Zoning Commission.
2. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2018. Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email email@example.com for John Hayes.
Toby Welles reviewed the final changes made to Chapter 9. He will put the final document in Dropbox. Mr. Welles noted the addition of language that requests regional support in addition to support from Aquarion re: watershed preservation.
T. Welles and John Hayes will meeting on 11/29/18 for finalization and the Commission will vote on the final document at a Special Meeting scheduled for 12/4/18, 6:30 p.m. at the Land Use Office.
3. Referral from Zoning: 65 Hopewell Woods Road. Request for a Special Use Permit for an accessory apartment Public Hearing scheduled for December 12, 2018.
Tim Shea, 61 Hopewell Woods Road was present for the discussion. Mr. Shea expressed his concern re: increased traffic potential on the common driveway which is located 40 ft. from his house. He also noted his concern regarding the number of additional residents that may occupy the proposed apartment.
T. Welles stated that the town supports housing opportunities that are affordable to both older and younger populations. He stated that the Town Plan encourages smaller use settings to provide such opportunities. Mr. Welles will review current regulations for discussion at the Special Meeting on 12/4/18.
Maintenance on common driveways was noted as an issue that needs to be addressed in general.
1. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. J. Bacon has provided comments. Referred to Peter Olson, Esq.
2. IHZ Status. N. King report regarding list of members of commission.
3. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
4. Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates, 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor request of detailed bond release scheduled.
5. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
6. Establish W. Redding as an attractive Cultural Center.
7. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors. Old Hattertown Road, encroachment. 230 Poverty Hollow Road and 20 Old Hattertown Road.
8. Amendment to Section 5.2 of the Redding Subdivision Regulations regarding clearing and regrading.
9. Old Hattertown Road. Discussion re: altered accessway. Discussion 10/9/18.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly