Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
Tuesday, January 11, 2022
7:30 p.m. – VIA ZOOM
Present: Dan Barrett, Chairman; Steve Gagnon; Anda Cumings; Roger Van Ausdal; Regina O’Brien; Toby Welles, Alt.
Absent: Chuck Cilo
Also present: Aimee Pardee, Land Use Director
Julia Pemberton, First Selectwoman
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Public Forum of October 12, 2021
Meeting of December 14, 2021
The Chairman reported that per Robert’s Rules of Order, a motion and second are not required to approve the minutes.
The following changes will be made to the Minutes of October 12, 2021 Public Forum: Page 1, add “10/12/21 Minutes may be incomplete due to problems with audio equipment”; spelling corrections on Page 4. The Minutes were approved as amended.
The Minutes of December 14, 2021 were approved as written.
II. PUBLIC HEARING
1. Subdivision Application #529, 36 Whortleberry Road. Yishaya Marks (owner), McChord Engineering Associates, Inc. (agents). Proposed subdivision of 12.763 acres into 3 lots. Received 8/24/2021. Presentation 9/14/2021. Site Walk 9/19/2021. Discussion 9/28/2021. Public Hearing opened 11/23/2021. Public Hearing extension to meeting of 1/11/2022.
Yishaya Marks and Harry Rocheville of McChord Engineering were present via ZOOM. The Chairman noted receipt of the consultant report. Mr. Rocheville confirmed that the open space represents 15.6% of the total area and is delineated on the subdivision survey. Land Use Director A. Pardee confirmed that the easement language will be reviewed by Commission Counsel.
Regina O’Brien requested confirmation that the consultant report included a comprehensive and holistic review of the whole site. A. Pardee noted her confidence with the plan review. Toby Welles suggested such confirmation of regulation review on future applications.
Ms. O’Brien motioned and Mr. Van Ausdal seconded the motion to close the Public Hearing. The motion passed unanimously.
1. (If Public Hearing is closed) – Subdivision Application #529, 36 Whortleberry Road. Yishaya Marks (owner), McChord Engineering Associates, Inc. (agents). Proposed subdivision of 12.763 acres into 3 lots. Received 8/24/2021. Site Walk 9/19/2021. Public Hearing opened 11/23/2021. Public Hearing extension to meeting of 1/11/2022.
A draft motion will be reviewed at the next meeting.
2. Subdivision Application #504, 38 Mountain Road. 38 Mountain Road LLC; Chris Curnan, Manager. Request to modify approved buildable area. Discussion 11/09/2021. Site Walk 11/13/2021. Discussion tabled pending receipt of survey.
Discussion tabled pending receipt of survey.
3. Referral from Zoning, 613 Redding Road. Polina Hochreiter (owner). Request for a Special Use Permit to add an accessory apartment to an existing dwelling. Public Hearing to open January 12, 2022.
The referral was reviewed and it was confirmed that the Health Department provides input to Zoning.
Mr. Gagnon motioned and Ms. O’Brien seconded the motion to forward a positive response to the Zoning. The motion passed unanimously.
4. 89 Cross Highway. Discussion of possible encroachments into road right-of-way of a Scenic Road.
Land Use Director A. Pardee reported that a Notice of Violation has been drafted. The Commission reviewed the apron and pillar construction noting that no permits were pulled. Commissioners agreed that the pillars are a clear violation and need to be removed.
Toby Welles suggested educating residents as to permitted activities on scenic roads and the town right-of-way. Brochures were developed several years ago and A. Pardee will investigate getting the material onto the town website.
5. 224 Umpawaug Road. Discussion of compliance with the approved wall and fencing plan for a Scenic Road.
The new driveway apron and height of pillars were discussed. It was noted that they are not consistent with the neighborhood and are a different aesthetic. The owner will be requested to shorten the pillars and submit an application for approval of a new driveway apron.
6. Update of Scenic Road monitoring assignments.
Mr. Van Ausdal will take over Limekiln and Whortleberry Roads.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT/DISCUSSION
Chairman Barrett reviewed upcoming training requirements re: Public Act No. 21-29, an act concerning the zoning enabling act, accessory apartments, training for certain land use officials, municipal affordable housing plans and a commission on Connecticut’s development and future. Mr. Barrett, Ms. Pardee and Julia Pemberton met with WestCOG today to review possible strategies.
The current inventory of affordable housing units in Redding is at .47% with the requirement at 10%. T. Welles asked if WestCOG is considering a regional plan to achieve the goal.
First Selectwoman Pemberton invited commissioners to attend the Board of Selectmen meeting 1/18/21 for presentations by WestCOG.
Chairman Barrett will move forward with developing a policy re: submission dates for agenda items.
Mrs. Pemberton requested an endorsement letter for the CT Communities Challenge Grant application.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly