Tuesday, February 22, 2022
7:30 p.m. – VIA ZOOM
Present: Dan Barrett, Chairman; Steve Gagnon; Anda Cumings; Roger Van Ausdal; Regina O’Brien; Toby Welles, Alt.
Absent: Chuck Cilo, Alt.
Also present: Aimee Pardee, Land Use Director
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Meeting of January 25, 2022
-Meeting of February 8, 2022 -Cancelled
The following change will be made to the Minutes of January 25, 2022: Page 2, Item 5, second paragraph, last sentence, change to “A. Pardee agreed with the need to be cautious and Mr. Barrett stated that the town’s hand may be forced by developers if Redding does not submit an Affordable Housing Plan.” The Minutes were unanimously approved as amended.
1. Scenic Road Violation Updates:
-Application re: pillars constructed at 89 Cross Highway
Mr. and Mrs. Pellecchia were present via ZOOM. Mr. Pellecchia noted that safety and driveway visibility were the motivations behind adding lighting to the pillars. Lighting options were reviewed including the use of down-lighting to avoid the illumination of the trees or skyline. Pillar-top lighting was discouraged.
Mr. Pellecchia reported the presence of existing pillars on Cross Highway. T. Welles reported that those pillars were grandfathered in when the Scenic Road Ordinance was enacted. Land Use Dir. A. Pardee stated that the pillars are entirely in the town right-of-way.
Mr. Van Ausdal motioned and Ms. Cumings seconded the motion to approve the pillars at 89 Cross Highway subject to the condition of Highway Department approval. The motion carried 4-1.
-Discussion re: 224 Umpawaug Road. Discussion 1/25/2022.
Conor Daley was present for the owners and issued an apology on behalf of the Bishops for the error in fence height. A. Pardee reviewed the zoning regulations as well as the approved height of 6 feet. In addition, Ms. Pardee noted that the driveway apron needs to be assessed.
The original site plans were screenshared and height changes were reviewed. Mr. Welles noted that the drawing appears to be on a level grade however, it is not. Regina O’Brien stated that the plan is incongruous with Umpawaug Road.
A site walk is scheduled for Sun., 2/27/22 at 9:00 a.m.
2. Scenic Road Discussion: request to mark street catch basins with notations “no dumping/drains to stream” on scenic roads. Discussion 1/25/2022.
Land Use Dir. A. Pardee reported that Alice Smith is working on a source for the catch basin stickers.
3. Discussion of Draft Affordable Housing Plan: Redding Annex. Discussion 1/25/2022.
Commissioners reviewed and made editing suggestions to the draft plan forwarded by A. Pardee.
4. Referral from Zoning: 32 Portland Avenue. Salvatore Pilato (owner), Wade Roese (agent). Request for Zone Change/Zoning Map Amendment to change property zone from BC (Business Center) to RV (Residential Village). Public Hearing to open March 9, 2022.
The referral was reviewed accompanied by a screenshared image of the property.
Ms. Cumings motioned and Mr. Van Ausdal seconded the motion to forward a positive referral to Zoning. The motion passed unanimously.
5. Referral from Zoning: 57 Giles Hill Road. Michael Sukin and Kimberly Bonnell. Request for Special Use Permit for an accessory apartment. Public Hearing to open February 23, 2022.
The Chairman reviewed the proposal.
Ms. O’Brien motioned and Ms. Cumings seconded the motion to forward a positive referral to Zoning. The motion passed unanimously.
6. Appointment of Representatives to the Historic Review Commission.
The Chairman reviewed the request by the Town Clerk to appoint a Commission member to the Historic Review Commission with the same expiration date of 11/18/25. The Commission will reappoint Anda Cumings. `
The meeting was adjourned at 9:03 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly