Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; James Bacon; Anda Cuming; Michael Nostin, Alt., seated for N. King; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for T. Welles.
Absent: Nancy King; Toby Welles
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
Julia Pemberton, First Selectman
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 6/10/14
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted to approve the 6/10/14 Meeting Minutes. M. Nostin abstained.
1. A. Application #524, 27 Turney Road, Henry Sanford, owner. Discussion of stone wall preservation easement.
Henry Sanford was present. D. Taylor read a letter dated 11/20/13 from Charlie Couch re: evaluation of stone wall for historical significance. J. Brooks reviewed consultation with Commission Counsel Peter Olson re: ownership of easement on partially owned stone wall.
The easement will be added to Mr. Sanford’s land records. J. Brooks will determine which Commission will determine who will the easement.
2. . Alteration to Poverty Hollow Road. Designated Scenic Road without an application. To discuss. Possible solution.
D. Taylor read T. Welles’ email to J. Pemberton re: Poverty Hollow road width. Ms. Pemberton noted the confusion in original road width measurements and reported that there was no intent to alter the road. The need for surveys/measurements prior to road work was discussed.
Ms. Pemberton stated that the Highway Department will submit an application if alterations on a Scenic Road are planned.
R. O’Brien will meet with Jeff Hanson, Highway Superintendent to review the implementation of T. Welles’ recommendations and status of vegetation trimming. Ms. Pemberton will meet with the Board of Selectmen to discuss Toby’s plan for the second coat on Poverty Hollow scheduled for 6/27/14.
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of A. Cuming, the Commission voted unanimously to send a letter to the Board of Selectmen stating that the Planning Commission endorses the points made in T. Welles’ letter to Julia Pemberton on 6/24/14.
3. . Section 4.3 Roads and Driveways, 4.4: Waivers and Section VIII Definitions to review for revision. John Hayes.
Commission comments for Section 4.3 should be sent to J. Brooks for further discussion at the next meeting.
III. PENDING ITEMS-NOT CURRENTLY FOR ACTION
1. Reference App. #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner. ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line. 6/5/14 contacting engineer.
2. Subdivision App. #402, 2 John Todd Way, Lot One. Request to alter Building Construction Restriction Line. Andrew Wertheim and Sybil Peyer (owners), Nick Nelson (agent). Site Walk 3/29/14. Discussion 4/8/14. Map submitted with application.
3. Request for Plantings, 206 Umpawaug Road. Discussion of easement.
4. Lisa Lind Larson – Proposed Conservation Easement – Discussion.
5. Town Plan of Conservation & Development. Discuss recommendations for action.
6. Sight Line Regulations. Zoning, Police Chief, Highway Superintendent.
7. Subcommittee list to review, attached. Nancy has 5 and Toby has 3+3 alternates.
8. Sight Line Problems: 56 Marchant Road. J. Hanson’s plan and budget.
9. Scenic Road Monitoring. Volunteers’ Reports and draft a letter to Highway Dept.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:55 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly