Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; Thomas Flagg; Nancy King; Toby Welles; Jim Bacon, Alt., seated for D. Stroetzel.
Absent: Donald Stroetzel; Regina O’Brien, Alt.; Jerry Sarnelli, Alt.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting 4/9/13
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of N. King, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 4/9/13 Meeting Minutes.
1. 91 Cross Highway, Alex and Kim Soule. Request to install a mirror opposite their driveway.
Alex Soule was present. D. Taylor read a letter from Marilyn Sloper authorizing her permission to install a mirror. J. Bacon concurred that there is a need based on his experience as a neighbor of the applicant.
Mr. Soule reviewed the request and displayed video from the point of view of attempting to exit onto Cross Highway.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the installation of a mirror in the manner described for safety purposes.
2. Subdivision App. #504, Mountainside Estates (Natale), Jay Keillor, Mountainside Estates, LLC. Request to extend the approval date for Application #504.
Jay Keillor was present. D. Taylor noted the expiration date of the original license as 4/8/13.
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of T. Flagg, the Commission voted unanimously to extend the License on Application #504 to 4/8/15.
3. Referral from Zoning. Improvements to the Joel Barlow Stadium Complex. Zoning Public hearing 5/22/13. TO VOTE.
J. Hayes displayed plans and reviewed the proposal in detail. Mr. Hayes’ report was read and discussed along with a copy of the Milone & MacBroom report.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of N. King, the Commission voted unanimously to draft a letter to be sent to the Zoning Commission endorsing the application as consistent with the Town Plan of Conservation & Development but raising concern about a possibility of increased lighting on the proposed field and parking area and concerns of new amount of stormwater runoff from the paving of the parking lot and new artificial turf playing surface.
4. Proposed Amendment to S.R. 8.1.36 Building Construction & Restriction Line. Discussion.
Proposed revisions were reviewed. J. Brooks will forward the final version for review at the next meeting.
5. S.R. 4.8. To discuss possible amendments.
Clarification of the cultural resource section was discussion.
1. Reference App. #505, Lot 3, Petra Koegel, owner, 16 Costa Lane. ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line.
2. Reference Subdivision App. #391, Lot 8-A, 163 Sunset Hill Road, Kathlene Tracy. Requested to create an addition driveway entrance.
3. Town Plan of Conservation & Development. Discuss recommendations for action.
Scenic Road Flyer: Discuss reprinting, stonewall amendments, distribution to Town Hall, Library, Realtors, others, budget.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
J. Hayes reviewed the status of the IHZ project.
D. Taylor read a letter from Frederik Engel re: new construction requirements for underground power lines. J. Brooks will respond that it is a requirement in all subdivision applications; zoning special permits and site plans.
Assessor’s task of noting Scenic Roads is in progress.
T. Welles reported that the Aspetuck Chasm sign is ready and will be installed.
D. Taylor noted upcoming meetings. D. Taylor, R. O’Brien and N. King are attending a networking tea on 5/22/13 at Fairfield University.
Commission discussed the need for all Commissions to perform site walks.
T. Flagg noted a traffic safety concern at the intersection of Station and Sidecut Road.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:40 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly