Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; Anda Cumings; Nancy King; Toby Welles; Michael Nostin, Alt., seated for J. Bacon; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Absent: James Bacon
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
Julia Pemberton, First Selectman
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 5/12/15
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted to approve the 5/12/15 Meeting Minutes. M. Nostin abstained.
II. PUBLIC HEARING – CONTINUED
Subdivision Application #526, Willard and Catherine Rowley (owners) – “Old
Stone Estates, LLC”, P.W. Scott Engineering & Architecture, PC (agent). 12
Marchant and 55 Chestnut Woods Roads. Proposed subdivision of 65.60
acres into 12 lots. (App. #525 withdrawn at Meeting of 2/24/15.) Received
3/10/15. Presentation 3/24/15, continued 4/14/15, 4/28/15. Public Hearing Opened 5/12/15.
P. Scott, P. Coates and Atty. Peter Scalzo were present for the applicant. D. Taylor noted the deadline to close the Public Hearing is 6/9/15 and a letter of extension may be required if all material is not submitted by that date.
P. Scott submitted and reviewed a letter in response to J. Hayes’ report in addition to archaeological findings dated 5/20/15. Additional findings are pending. Atty. Scalzo reviewed the status of requested waivers as addressed in J. Hayes’ 5/12/15 memorandum.
J. D’Alessandro, 53 Chestnut Woods Road, encouraged the Commission to require completion of all archaeological testing on Lot 12 prior to deliberations.
1. Scenic Roads: issues as desired by Commissioners i.e.
- 100 Umpawaug Road – mirrors. J. Brooks will draft a letter re: encouragement of installation of mirrors to improve sight lines.
- Poverty Hollow Road – sign resolution. T. Welles will write a draft letter and forward to Commissioners for review and further discussion. R. O’Brien will write a letter requesting a meeting to address general policy on removal of vegetation i.e. Mountain Laurel.
- Marchant Road – resolution. No action to be taken. This issue has been addressed via a previous letter clarifying that this Commission does not recommend road changes.
- Cross Highway – reconstruction resolution. R. O’Brien will write a draft letter to J. Pemberton detailing items to be remedied as a result of road reconstruction. Per J. Pemberton, pre-existing conditions need to be quantified.
- Signs re: Limekiln Road. The Scenic Road portion of a sign on Limekiln Road and Umpawaug Road are missing.
- Jose Goncalves, App’l #506, Lot #2, 220 Umpawaug Road. Request to enlarge Building Construction & Restriction Line a short distance. Need map showing new line.
- Reference App’l #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner, ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks,. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line. 6/05/15 – Petra to contact engineer.
- Town Plan of Conservation & Development. Discuss recommendations.
- Sight Line Regulations. Discussion with Zoning, Police Chief, Highway Superintendent.
- Topstone Road Complaint needs resolution from Redding Planning Commission. Discussion.
- Pine Tree Road Complaint. Patrick Merrill requests action.
V. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Re: Umpawaug Road storm damage. R. O’Brien and N. King reported on their site visit. Neighbors have been negatively impacted visually due to the disturbed landscape. The recommendation was made to not alter the landscape and let the forest continue regeneration. N. King will write a letter detailing the recommendation.
On the motion of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:15 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly