Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; James Bacon; Anda Cumings; Toby Welles; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for N. King.
Absent: Nancy King; Michael Nostin, Alt.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 7/14/15
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 7/14/15 Minutes as amended: Page 2, Item 5., heading, change to “Request from Shawn Wade, 65 Town’s End Road, Newtown, to have Redding, Old Hattertown Road, trim four feet back from the travelway.”, Page 3, first paragraph, change to “On the motion of D. Taylor and the second of Anda Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to send a letter to the First Selectman and the Highway Department requesting review.”
1. Old Hattertown Road. Request from Shawn Wade, 65 Town’s End Road, Newtown, to have Town trim the road four fee back from the travelway. Discussion per Site Inspections.
Shawn Wade was present. Site Inspection findings were reviewed. T. Welles delineated the area on the map for trimming three feet back and fourteen feet high for low-hanging limbs.
A letter will be sent to the Selectmen and J. Hanson, Highway Superintendent requesting the trimming.
2. Jose Goncalves, App. #506, Lot #2, 220 Umpawaug Road. Site Walk 7/11/15. Request to enlarge Building Construction & Restriction Line a short distance. To discuss report from John Hayes.
J. Goncalves and Brooke Clark were present in addition to M. Mazzucco. D. Taylor read J. Hayes’ report into the record.
Plans were displayed and options were reviewed. The applicant was requested to return with plans that meet the Regulations and that do not require grading outside the existing Building Construction & Restriction Line.
3. Reference App. #492, 4 Long Wall Road. Request by Steven Santa to nullify Settlement Agreement creating affordable housing unit. Possible further discussion.
Steven Santa was present. A new application from Atty. Neil Marcus is pending. Discussion will continue pending receipt.
4. Reference App. #505, Lot #1, 36 Putnam Park Road. Request re underground electric requirement. Discussion.
Atty. George Cohen was present for the applicant. J. Brooks reviewed the status and possible cash bond agreement with the Town is being reviewed by Town Counsel, M. Lavelle. T. Welles will draft a letter to Eversource re: removal of poles.
5. Request from Michael Handy, agent, 59 Black Rock Turnpike, to subdivide property per 1989 ZBA variance. Pre-application review per CT General Statute 7-159b.
Mr. Handy was present. After review of the history and current status of the property, options including writing a letter to Aquarion, were suggested. Discussion will continue at the next meeting.
6. 56 Marchant Road, Vanoni/Heyman. Request to discuss drainage onto a Scenic Road. Continued.
Discussion tabled to the next meeting.
7. Scenic Roads (6/23/15 and 7/14/15 issues)
a. Cross Highway-Poverty Hollow Road: Letter sent to Selectmen and Highway Superintendent re road trimming.
No response to the letter has been received. T. Welles will contact J. Pemberton.
b. Cross Highway –Paving (reconstruction) amendments: Letter sent to Selectmen and Highway Superintendent. Walk with First Selectman to be scheduled.
A. Cumings will contact J. Pemberton re: scheduling a walk.
c. Topstone Road-J. Hanson’s meeting re dirt roads cancelled due to storm/tornado. New information pending.
T. Welles will contact J. Hanson re status.
8. Goodsell Hill Road – Selectmen will discuss reconfiguring intersection vs. one-way road at their 7/20/15 meeting. Letter sent to Selectmen.
Discussion tabled at the Selectmen’s meeting pending J. Pemberton’s meeting with Mrs. Wolf re limited options for reconfiguration.
9. Long Meadow and Meadow’s Edge. Request from Wayne Jones re plowing. Letter sent to Selectmen requesting meeting with Planning and Highway Department re cul-de-sac design and maintenance.
A letter has been sent requesting a meeting with Highway Department re cul-de-sac redesign. A response is pending.
Subdivision Application #526, Willard and Catherine Rowley (owners), “Old Stone Estates, LLC”, P.W. Scott Engineering & Architecture, PC (agent), 12 Marchant and 55 Chestnut Woods Roads. Proposed subdivision of 65.60 acres into 12 lots. (App. #525 withdrawn at Meeting of 2/24/15.) Received 3/10/15. Presentation 3/24/15, continued 4/14/15, 4/28/15. Public Hearing Opened 5/12/15, continued 5/26/15, 6/9/15, closed 6/23/15. Deliberation 7/14/15. Deadline to Vote, Meeting of 8/25/15.
P. Scott was present. D. Taylor read memos from Steve Kochis, Milone & MacBroom and C. Couch into the record. Deliberation will continue at the next meeting.
- Reference App. #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner, ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line. 6/5/15-Petra to contact engineer.
- Town Plan of Conservation & Development. Discuss recommendations.
- Sight Line Regulations. Discussion with Zoning, Police Chief, Highway Superintendent.
V. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
- Request from Connecticut Fund for the Environment on tree trimming.
- Site inspection findings of wall on Turney Road, App. #524, Hank Sanford. T. Welles reviewed his observations. He will draft a letter for Mr. Sanford.
On the motion of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 10:07 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly