Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Old Town House -7:30 p.m.
Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; James Bacon; Anda Cumings; Nancy King; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for T. Welles.
Absent: Toby Welles; Laura Hoeing, Alt.; Michael Nostin, Alt.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator; John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant and Julia Pemberton, First Selectman
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 5/10/16; Meeting of 5/24/16 Cancelled
On the motion of N. King and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted to approve the 5/10/16 Meeting Minutes. J. Bacon abstained.
- Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Request to alter BCRL.
Mr. Aley was present. A map was displayed and the proposal was reviewed in detail.
Site Walks will be conducted on an individual basis. Discussion will continue at the next meeting.
- Replacement of Bethel’s ER9 Bus Depot location with a Redding site.
D. Taylor noted that this is not within the purview of the Commission.
J.Hayes reviewed the possible locations for a bus depot location and noted that he does not think there is an appropriate location in Redding. His report is forthcoming and will be reviewed at the next meeting.
- #496, C&M Homes. Common driveway problems. Discussion requested by J. Pemberton and T. Welles.
J. Pemberton and residents with affected common driveway on Newtown Turnpike were present. Zoning and Planning Regulations re: common driveway easements were discussed.
J. Brooks will review common driveway easements for possible language revision.
- Town Plan of Conservation & Development. Discussion. John Hayes TPCD Recommendations.. Subcommittee priority recommendations for current action on each Chapter, where pertinent, goals should be stated in terms of low impact development.
J. Hayes provided an update on progress and preliminary timeline. Subcommittee Chairmen were requested to review the 2008 Plan Recommendations in their chapters for discussion at the next meeting.
- Scenic Road Monitoring.
Discussion tabled until the next meeting.
- Reference App. #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner. ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line. 6/5/15-Petra to contact engineer. No Response. Warning issued. Survey in progress 1/20/16.
- Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed. (7 Meadow edge problem 3/22/16.)
- 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
- Subdivision Regulations.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Temporary signage at the intersection of Umpawaug and Marchant was discussed in addition to temporary speed humps to address safety concerns re: Route 53 detour.
Accidents on Pine Tree Road have increased since Stepney Road bridge detour. J. Brooks will follow up with T. Welles re: request for GPS alteration.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:05 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly