RECEIVED JULY 14, 2016 @3:30 PM
Redding Planning Commission
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; James Bacon; Anda Cumings; Nancy King; Laura Hoeing, Alt., seated for T. Welles; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Absent: Toby Welles; Michael Nostin, Alt.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
Julia Pemberton, First Selectman
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
On the motion of N. King and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to add, Umpawaug Road Stop Signs to the Administrative Agenda as Item II. 2a.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 6/28/16
On the motion of L. Hoeing and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 6/28/16 Meeting Minutes.
1. Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Request to alter BCRL. To Vote.
F. Aley was present. Site Walk findings noted an alternative BCRL location.
On the motion of N. King and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to approve a redrawn and resubmitted BCRL line that follows the wood line.
2a. Umpawaug Road Stop Signs. Discussion.
Glenn Johnson, W. Redding Fire Chief, was present in addition to other members of the public. Mr. Johnson noted his concerns re: effect of signage on traffic flow at the intersection of Umpawaug and Marchant Roads.
D. Taylor stated that stop signs are not the purview of the Planning Commission.
Nina Stietzel noted her concern re: weather conditions and the placement of the proposed stop sign.
Melissa Johnson stated that additional traffic delays could interfere with her travel to Danbury Hospital in emergency situations.
T. Ogonek reported that the Planning website has posted the Police Department new traffic pattern notice.
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to recommend that the Board of Selectmen determine whether stop signs are needed on a temporary basis and if so, that the signs will not be permanent measures.
2b. Replacement of Bethel ER9 Bus Depot Location with a Redding site. J. Hayes to report.
J. Hayes reviewed the status of all potential town-owned sites and determined that there is not an appropriate site in Redding for a bus depot location.
3. Town Plan of Conservation & Development.
- Subcommittee Priority Recommendations for current action on each Chapter, where pertinent, goals should be stated in terms of low impact development.
- John Hayes update.
Chapter assignments and priority items were reviewed.
Discussion will continue.
4. Scenic Road Monitoring.
N. King reported the removal of two large trees on Marchant Road in addition to the continuing drainage issue. J. Pemberton will determine if the trees were flagged by the Tree Warden for disease.
R. O’Brien requested a means for additional tree protection on Poverty Hollow at Stepney Bridge construction site. J. Pemberton will review on Friday at an on-site meeting.
J. Brooks stated that the Poverty Hollow sign has been missing at the bottom of Church Hill Road and needs to be replaced.
- Reference App. #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner. ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line. 6/5/15-Petra to contact engineer. No Response. Warning issued. Survey in progress 1/20/16.
- Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed. (7 Meadow edge problem 3/22/16.)
- 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
- Subdivision Regulations.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
D. Taylor noted that the original Act 490 Regulations and data dated 1969 have been submitted to the Mark Twain Library. The library offered these to the Planning Commission. The Commission concurred that they should be held at the Land Use Office.
Re: common driveway, C&M Homes: J. Brooks consulted with Commission Counsel who stated that the original plans cannot be altered. A joint meeting with all parties will be encouraged for resolution. J. Hayes suggested adoption of a standard form for future applications.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:25 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly