Select Page

Minutes of Planning Commission, 08/09/2016

AGENDA: Planning Commission

RECEIVED 08/15/2016 10:40am

Notice: Trying to get property 'name' of non-object in /home/customer/www/ on line 46

Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

7:30 p.m. – Old Town House

Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; Nancy King; Toby Welles.
Absent: James Bacon; Anda Cumings; Laura Hoeing, Alt.; Michael Nostin, Alt.; Regina O’Brien, Alt.

Also present:   Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator and John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant

The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 7/26/16

On the motion of N. King and the second of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 7/26/16 Minutes as amended:  Page 2, last item under “Chairman’s Report”, change to “The original Act #490 Subcommittee Report that was donated by Bernie O’Neill was received from the library. A letter of thanks will be written.”


  1. Reference App. #506, Lot #2, 220 Umpawaug Road. William and Robin Bishop, owners. Brook Clark (agent). Request to alter BCRL.

Brook Clark was present for the applicant.  Site Walk reports from L. Hoeing, N. King and R. O’Brien were reviewed. J. Hayes noted his concern re: erosion and sedimentation.

D. Taylor requested a map depicting both current and proposed BCRL for review and when approved, a map depicting just the new BCRL. J. Hayes suggested adding a note on the map indicating the basis on which the BCRL was changed.

B. Clark will submit a draft to J. Brooks for review and a final map will be submitted for the next meeting.

  1. Reference App. #506, Lot #3, 216 Umpawaug Road. Emily Asen, owner. Request to alter driveway location.

Emily Asen was present.  The proposal and map were reviewed.  Site Walks will be conducted on an individual basis pending notification from Ms. Asen that the stakes are in place.

  1. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008
  • Report from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Three, Five, Six, Seven, Eight and Nine to define which recommendations should be pursued currently.
    T. Welles will submit a draft list of threats to aquifers for subsequent review by a hydrologist per Chapter Two. J. Brooks will inquire with Planning Counsel about the viability about an ordinance vs. regulations.
  • John Hayes update 2018 Plan.
    Re: 2018 plan, J. Hayes is working with the Conservation Commission in appointing a subcommittee to work on the Open Space chapter.  Map data nearing completion by C.D.M.

4.  Scenic Road Monitoring.
a.  Poverty Hollow Road. J. Brooks reported that replacement of the road and Scenic Road signs on Poverty Hollow are expected momentarily.
T. Welles noted that artificial stone was installed on the wing-walls on the new Stepney Road Bridge despite a Planning Commission request to refrain from artificial stone. Mr. Welles will contact J. Pemberton to prevent painting the stones.

b.  Marchant Road. King will contact J. Pemberton re: tree removal on Scenic Roads, for example, Marchant Road.

c.  Umpawaug Road. Brooks will draft a letter for review quoting language in the approval for App. #506 for Umpawaug Road landscaping.

d.  Topstone Road. A letter to the Garden Club will be written re: preservation of the island at Umpawaug Road.

e.  Sidecut Road is in poor condition from Station Road to the tracks. Brooks will obtain a schedule for reconstruction and maintenance.

5.  Section 4.5 Final Revision Review.
Discussion tabled until the next meeting.

6.  Referral from Zoning, 3 Marchant Road. Boy Scouts of America. Request for Storage Building. P.H. 8/10/16. TO VOTE.

The proposal was reviewed and the J. Hayes noted the inadequate information re: use of the proposed structure.

On the motion of T. Welles and the second of N. King, the Commission voted unanimously to send a letter to the Zoning Commission stating that not enough information has been sent to review the planned use of the structure in order to assess whether there’s a negative impact on this very important, privately owned open space.


  1. Subdivision Regulation Revisions.
  1. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed. (7 Meadow edge problem 3/22/16.)
  1. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use.
  1. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
  1. Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.

6.  Reference App. #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner. ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction and Restriction Line. 6/5/15-Petra to contact engineer. No Response. Warning issued. Survey in progress 1/20/16.

Attorney Olson sending final letter to Petra Koegel, Pending III. 6.

Re: IHZ subcommittee, T. Welles will follow up with J. Pemberton and other subcommittee members re: Ethan Allen/DOT property.

T. Welles will draft a letter to property owners along Old Mill Road providing information regarding potential changes to the overlay zone and encouraging their participation in discussions.

On the motion of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:20 p.m.

Submitted by:
Kristi C. Reilly

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.