Tuesday, September 27, 2016
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles, seated as Chairman; Anda Cumings; Laura Hoeing, Alt., seated for N. King; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Absent: James Bacon; Michael Nostin, Alt.; Nancy King
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
There will be a memorial service held for Diane Taylor at 2:00 p.m. on October 28 at Christ Church.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Meeting of 8/2316
– Meeting of 9/13/16 Cancelled
On the motion of L. Hoeing and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 8/23/16 Meeting Minutes.
1. Toby Welles resignation as Secretary of the Commission.
T. Welles stated that he is resigning as Secretary of the Planning Commission.
2. Toby Welles acknowledgement of willingness to serve as Acting Chairman of the Planning Commission until a new member is appointed by the Board of Selectmen. TO VOTE.
On the motion of A. Cumings and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to appoint Toby Welles as the Acting Chairman.
3. Nomination of a new Secretary to serve until the new member is appointed. TO VOTE.
T. Welles requested nominations from the floor. None were heard.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to elect Nancy King as the new Secretary.
4. After appointment of new member, an election will be held for Chairman and Secretary with terms lasting until the first regular meeting after the next municipal election (November or December 2017).
On the motion of A. Cumings and the second of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to recommend Laura Hoeing as a full member.
Ways of attracting new Commission members were discussed. T. Welles recommended their ability to join the Town health plan at pro-rated costs to them such as the Fire Departments.
Agenda Item 6. Scenic Road Monitoring was moved to Agenda Item 5.
5. Scenic Road Monitoring.
T. Welles noted that the recent paving on Poverty Hollow caused by work on the Stepney Bridge has resulted in a wider embankment and shoulder. Jean Curtis and Mindy Hanssen were present to note their concerns that the wider road has and will continue to lead to faster car speeds and should be remedied..
The Commissioners reviewed the original Scenic Road Ordinance.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to recommend to the Selectmen that the road be restored to its original contours per the Scenic Road Ordinance and that such contours be built up to adequately recreate the original road width.
In addition, an as-built survey is requested to compare to the original survey at the southeasterly corner of the intersection of Stepney Road and Poverty Hollow Road.
A letter will be written to the Board of Selectmen, Highway Department and Police Department re: excessive signage.
- Lee Lane: End of season roadwork to replace a blocked pipe and add a one-inch overlay to existing pavement. Discussion. A letter will be written.
T. Welles stated that the scheduled culvert replacement and overlay warrants a pre-repair site walk. The need to measure proposed locations prior to the commencement of work was reiterated.
- Remainder Roads by volunteer monitors.
T. Welles provided an update on the proposed bridge repair on John Read Road. The abutments are satisfactory but a new deck is needed.
6. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008
- Report from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Five, Seven and Nine to define which recommendations should be pursued currently. Commissioners provided status of work on assigned chapters. J. Brooks will investigate location of original Word document for editing.
- John Hayes update.
Current status was reviewed.
7. Section 4.5 Final Revision Review.
1. Subdivision Regulation Revisions.
2. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed. (7 Meadow edge problem 3/22/16.)
3. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use.
4. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
5. Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.
6. IHZ Status. 1) Re changes to overlap zone on Old Mill Road. 2) Analysis of land outside Super 7 right-of-way (T. Welles/J. Pemberton).
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
1. John Hayes to discuss ideas for common driveways.
Commissioners discussed ways to avoid similar frontage strips. J. Hayes suggested a language requirement and the need to find a method to clearly delineate usage and rights of potential residents. J. Brooks is attempting to set up a meeting with T. Welles, J. Pemberton and P. Olson at which the Auroras and the Tedawes can discuss and attempt to resolve their differences.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to submit a draft summary to Commission Counsel re: proposed change to Subdivision Regulations.
On the motion of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly