Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman; Anda Cumings; James Bacon; Laura Hoeing; Nancy King; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The meeting was called to order at 7:32 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES –Meeting of 9/27/16; Meeting of 10/11/16 Cancelled
On the motion of A. Cumings and the second of T. Welles, the Commission voted to approve the 9/27/16 Meeting Minutes as amended: Page 2, delete last line; Page 3, delete first paragraph. Bacon abstained.
1. Laura Hoeing as full member.
Laura Hoeing was welcomed as a full member of the Commission.
2. ROLI-Presentation re their history and current functions.
B. Given, R. Emerson and D. Whitham were present to review the past and current role of ROLI.
3. Town Plan of Conservation & Development
-Report from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Five, Seven, and Nine to discuss recommendations to be pursued currently.
The electronic version of the 2008 Plan can be obtained through C. Keil at the Land Use Office.
Clarifications were made on the scope of assigned chapters. J. Hayes reported that CDR is forwarding spreadsheets for GIS update.
-John Hayes update on the progress of the 2018 Plan.
J. Hayes submitted preliminary demographic data and will contact Doug Fuchs re: updated traffic statistics.
4. Scenic Road Monitoring
-Lee Lane: Report on repaving.
T. Welles met with J. Hansen to review the culvert replacement and overlay.
A. Cumings reported that Topstone Road continues to be bumpy. J. Brooks will revisit scheduling a dirt road consultant.
-Remainder roads by volunteer monitors.
A. Cumings will inspect Whortleberry Road. The guardrail is missing on Sanfordtown Road. T. Welles will check with J. Hansen to determine if it is on the schedule for replacement.
5. Section 4.5 Final Revision Review.
6. Section 4.3 and Road Regulations to discuss new cul-de-sac designs with appropriate radius for truck turning.
T. Welles had previously reviewed the cul-de-sac and submitted alternate designs that had a turning radius more conducive to plowing.
On the motion of N. King and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to request the consulting engineer to draft specifications for an alternate turnaround shape for incorporation into the Subdivision Regulations.
7. Common Driveway and Easement Maintenance Agreements. To be reviewed.
T. Welles reported that a planning meeting with affected residents has not been scheduled due to scheduling conflicts. J. Hayes will submit sample language to be reviewed.
1. Subdivision Regulation Revisions.
2. Cul-de-Sac Design and Sight lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed. (7 Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16.)
3. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use per App., #496, 7/12/16.
4. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
5. Ref. App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new B.C.R.L.
6. IHZ Status. 1) Re changes to overlay zone on Old Mill
Road. 2) Analysis of land outside Super 7 right-of-way (T. Welles/J. Pemberton.)
T. Welles stated that he is seeking a replacement as Chairman of IHZ Subcommittee.
7. 8/9/16 Letter to Garden Club re Topstone Road island.
J. Brooks will send a reminder note.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Diane Taylor’s memorial service is on Fri., 10/28/16 at Christ Church, 2:00 p.m.
CFE is seeking comment re: State Water Plan. A meeting is scheduled on 10/27/16 at 8:00 p.m.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly