Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Nancy King, seated as Chairman; Anda Cumings; Laura Hoeing; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Absent: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman; James Bacon
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator and John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The meeting was called to order at 7:32 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES –Meeting of 10/25/16; -Meetings of 11/8/16, 11/22/16 Cancelled
On the motion of L. Hoeing and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 10/25/16 Meeting Minutes.
1. Reference App. #351, Lot 16, Deer Hill Road, Stuart Laidlaw. Request to alter BCRL and Drainage.
Mr. Laidlaw was present. The subdivision map was reviewed and the proposal to build a 30’ x 40’ barn was reviewed. Proposed drainage repair was also reviewed. Mr. Laidlaw noted his opinion that the drainage approved by the Redding Planning Commission has not been maintained correctly.
A site walk is scheduled for Sun., 12/18/16 at 11:00 a.m.
2. Reference App. #504, 34 Mountain Road, Jay Keillor. Request to review Conditions of Approval.
Jay Keillor was present. He stated that the subdivision, originally approved for five lots, is now three lots. A request to modify the conditions of approval was made re: installation of the water tank; substitution of guiderail with rocks; reduction in number of both monuments and pins and adjustment to the bond.
A report will be submitted by John Hayes pending review of the list of requests.
A site walk is scheduled for Sun., 12/18/16 at 11:45 a.m.
3. Town Plan of Conservation & Development
• Report from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Five, Seven, and Nine to discuss recommendations to be pursued currently.
• John Hayes update on the progress of the 2018 Plan.
John Hayes provided an update and will submit a more complete report for discussion at the next meeting, 1/10/17. He will also submit information on demographics. Regional issues will be reviewed with Jonathan Chew.
4. Scenic Road Monitoring
• Reports by volunteer monitors.
Laura Hoeing requested an additional opinion re: completed work on Lee Lane.
Construction on Umpawaug Road at the schoolhouse has been observed. N. King noted that a request for construction on a Scenic Road was not received. A letter will be drafted and will include a record of other construction activities on Scenic Roads that were not brought before the Planning Commission.
1. Subdivision Regulation Revisions, i.e. 4.5.
2. Cul-de-Sac Design and Sight lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed. (7 Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16.)
3. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use per App., #496, 7/12/16.
4. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
5. Ref. App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new B.C.R.L.
6. IHZ Status. 1) Re changes to overlay zone on Old Mill
Road. 2) Analysis of land outside Super 7 right-of-way (T. Welles/J. Pemberton.)
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Laura Hoeing discussed the need for clearer town and state regulations re: water remediation system codes.
Jo-an Brooks read a letter from J. Bacon stating that he will remain on the Commission as a full member until a replacement is found.
On the motion of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:30 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly