Select Page

Minutes of Planning Commission, 01/10/2017

AGENDA: Planning Commission

RECEIVED 01/12/2017 5:18pm
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk

MINUTES
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House

Present: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman; Anda Cumings; Laura Hoeing; Nancy King; Regina O’Brien, Alt.
Absent: J. Bacon

Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
Julia Pemberton, First Selectman

The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Meeting of 12/13/16; Minutes of Site Walk 1/7/17, 34 Mountain Rd., Jay Keillor –CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER

On the motion of N. King and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 12/13/16 Meeting Minutes.

II. ADMINISTRATIVE
1. Reference App. #351, Lot 16, 66 Deer Hill Road, Stuart Laidlaw. Request to alter BCRL and Drainage.

Mr. Laidlaw was present. The scheduled Site Walk was cancelled due to weather, however, A. Cumings visited the site and reviewed her findings.

WEO/ZEO Aimee Pardee reported her support of the drainage repair to J. Brooks. A Site Walk to review the BCRL is scheduled for Sun., 1/15/17, 10:00 a.m.

2. Reference App. #504, 34 Mountain Road, Jay Keillor. Request to review and amend Conditions of Approval.

Joe Nazzaro was present for Mr. Keillor. The items proposed for reconsideration were reviewed in detail. Mr. Nazzaro will contact the Fire Department re: request to eliminate the fire tank as a condition. Additional measurements need to be provided of the width of the resultant roadway re: replacement of guiderails with rocks. J. Hayes will review the site and Regulations re: proposed elimination of monuments and pins.

Further engineering analysis is required re: moving the driveway to increase sight distance.

Discussion will continue.

3. David and Max Daignault request comments on a dog park they wish to create with Park & Rec at the Community Center.

Max Daignault presented his proposal for a 200’ x 100’ ft. fenced in dogpark. J. Pemberton confirmed that the existing dog space at Topstone Park is covered by the Town’s insurance.

Laura and James Cunningham, 5 Gallows Hill Ext. were present. Ms. Cunningham read a letter noting her concern about the fence impeding her view and the noise of dogs. Ellen Williams, 7 Gallows Hill Ext. spoke to her similar concerns.

Alternate locations for the park will be investigated. J. Pemberton suggested asking the Conservation Commission if any Town-owned open space parcels can accommodate a dog park. The site across the street from the Police Station is available however would require extensive clearing. An area currently reserved for a possible skate park at the Community Center will be looked at as well.

David Daignault questioned if plantings or ivy covering on the fence would be a solution. N. King stated that a minimum of 30 feet of plantings is required in order to reduce noise. J. Pemberton suggested getting a meter reading of the noise level at an existing dog park to establish a measurement of noise potential.

John Hayes stated that a study of available Town-owned land is needed. A Site Walk is scheduled for Sun., 1/22/17 at 10:00 a.m. to evaluate the possible uses for the area in consideration for a skate park.

4. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008
• Report from the Chairman of Chapters Two, Five, Seven, and Nine to discuss recommendations to be pursued currently.
• John Hayes update on the progress of the 2018 Plan.

Commissioners reviewed the status of pending chapters. A. Cumings stated that Rob Dean is willing to assist in reviewing assigned chapters. Discussion will continue.

John Hayes is currently working on the 2018 Plan. Further information is pending.

Julia Pemberton confirmed that there will be informal public meetings prior to approval of the Plan.

5. Scenic Road Monitoring
• Reports by volunteer monitors.

Toby Welles confirmed that proposed work on Lee Lane is complete and satisfactory.

Unnecessary flooding signage on the Stepney Road Bridge can be removed per Doug Fuchs.

T. Welles provided an update re: Schoolhouse repair on Umpawaug Road.

6. Referral from Ridgefield: Special Permit Application and Regulation Amendment Application for the establishment of a brewery to operate within a portion of an existing building, 137 Ethan Allen Highway, owned by Riverside Real Estate, LLC. Public Hearing 1/10/17. TO VOTE and request that Public Hearing be held open.

The proposal was reviewed in detail. A positive referral will be forwarded to Ridgefield.

7. Referral from Zoning: Amendment to Zoning Regulations, Section 5.12, Accessory Apartments. Public Hearing 1/25/17. Discussion and possible vote.

The proposal was reviewed. John Hayes will review in detail and discuss at the next meeting.

8. Referral from Zoning: 77 Topstone Road. Request for 474 sq. ft. Accessory Apartment. Public Hearing 1/25/17. Discussion and possible vote.

The proposal was reviewed and the Commission will request A. Pardee to draft a minimum submission list for further review.

III. PENDING
1. Subdivision Regulation Revisions, i.e. 4.5.
2. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed (7 Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16.)
3. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use per App. #496, 7/12/16.
4. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
5. Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.
6. IHZ Status. 1) Re changes to overlay zone on Old Mill Road. 2) Analysis of land outside Super 7 right-of-way (T. Welles/J. Pemberton.)

IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Discussion re: request by residents of Costa Lane to make a Town road.

On the motion of N. King, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 10:20 p.m.

Submitted by:
Kristi C. Reilly

Accessibility Tools
hide